Remington actions

Shaidon

Where is a good place to find a stainless Rem 700 action for a 300 wsm? Also, does anyone make a detachable mag setup for a Rem 700 in 300 wsm. I saw HS Precision makes a kit but they dont list a 300 wsm. Thanks

Yep , check with Larry Scott hes a good guy to deal with.

I'd like to put in my 2 cent's if you don't mind.

If one is building a WSM for long range shooting I highly recomend that you build it on a long action
1) I say the long action because if you use long high BC bullets in a short action with the WSM's your gonna have to seat the bullet realy deap in the case taking up case volume and also with VLD style bullet your likly not gonna be able to seat out to the lands and still feed from the mag unless you have a special reamer made.
2) with the short action your stuck with the magnum bold face if you ever want to change calibers then you have to use another WSM or RSUM or buy a new bolt.
3) if you ever decide that you want more power than the WSM has your kinda screwed with the short action but with the long action you can step up to the RUM or 338Lapua based rounds. Heck if you decide that you don't want the WSM after 1000 rounds you can just replace the mag box and rechamber the same barrel to the biger RUM and basicaly have a new rifle because the longer chamber will be cleaning up alot if not all of the throat erosion that the WSM caused.

Sorry bout adding my oppinion but I hate to see folks get stuck with a calber that at some point down the road they want to change and can't due to action limitations.

+1 to JJ's post.
I recently built a 300WSM from a WSM donor rifle.
The longer high BC bullets will be too long to fit in the Remmy magbox if you need to seat them at or into the lands.

Am there, doing that...T-shirt is on the way.

Build it on a long action (if Remington) or get an extended mag box such as the Wyatt's box.

$50 Wyatts box will fix the issue with the short action WSM. I know it did with mine.

IMO not smart idea to build a long action on WSM, that is whole purpose of the WSM (ie short action). If you want a long action go to a 300 win mag. If you want to change, sell it.

More importantly I would not "buy" a Rem action to build any gun on. Save your money and buy a lawton or stiller predator.

Why buy an action that has to be trued up, rails opened for WSM etc and ends up costing the same or more as a custom action and then is only worth half what it cost you the moment you leave the gunsmiths door?

BH

Any input on the quality of the stiller predator actions. they look like what iam looking for.

[ QUOTE ]
Why buy an action that has to be trued up, rails opened for WSM etc and ends up costing the same or more as a custom action and then is only worth half what it cost you the moment you leave the gunsmiths door?

[/ QUOTE ]

one word AVAILABILITY

d-a

Can you buy a stiller,borden, or a lawton action tomorrow, or monday?

I cant, but I can get a remington Any time of the day.

Granted i do have a lot invested in my remingtons and if waiting wasnt a problem then the custom actions would be my choice.

d-a

Oh borden quoted me 25 weeks and I am on the list

[ QUOTE ]
d-a

who says the others aren't available?

still not a good reason IMO.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

How about,because the Remingtons are easier to install extended lenght mabazines (for a loaded 3.9 inch COAL lenght) without running into bolt stop problems...........
thumb.gif

Mr. Lawton told me as much and Surgeon also stated as much and so did the Smith doing my work Mr. Carlock........ As the bolt stop and location is not indentical to a M-700 making the M-700 easier to open......

Stiller says 12 weeks. I am on their list. Building a 300 RUM, this will be my first custom action.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.