Remington 721 30-06

mrbofus

Have a chance to aquire a rem 721 in a trade. Rifle seems In decent shape looks unused for sometime based on appearance. Good rifle? Build off action? Or stay away from it?
Just looking for your opinions..

I have built several off of the 721 and 722 actions. They have all been shooters. If you don't want it shoot me a PM I may be intrested.

Have a chance to aquire a rem 721 in a trade. Rifle seems In decent shape looks unused for sometime based on appearance. Good rifle? Build off action? Or stay away from it?

You may want to pull the bolt out see if it has 2 piece sear if it is just older style trigger and may want to replace it. Mine had that.

Another thing if you get the 721 is check and replace the Firing Pin Spring. The last 721's and 722's were built in about 1962 or 63. I inherited my dad's 722. It did not shoot worth crap and the firing pin would back up and it would allow the firing pin to back into the bolt piercing the primer and smoke came through the bolt. A short action 700 firing pin spring and it went back to 3/4 and less groups. And no more pierced primers. Good Luck and Be Safe if you get it.

morning, I have built numerous calibers off the rem. 721 action.

the action is very strong. replace the trigger. never had a problem.

if u build a wsm cartridge off the 721 action, u will have to

widen the feed rails in the action. u will have to open

the bolt face. if wished u can have a sako extractor installed

on the bolt face. The wood stock is cheap.

I built one off the 06 cartridge, with the wood stock.

A very hard kicker. installed a H&S stock. solved the problem. I use my wsm as

single shot. one shot one kill THK. Ulightbulb:)gun)

Unless it's a heck of a deal, you can buy a new, CNC made 700, on GunBroker, and have a better action for your build. You'll want to toss the trigger, but you won't have to change out the firing pin spring and it'll go right in a H-S stock (made for a 700) without the tang standing proud and the bolt handle will fit in the notch and look 'right'. The new made 700 action is 'head & shoulders' above the 'old' 700 and 721/722 in 'straightness' every time. The new actions, that are boxed and sold as action w/bolt & X-Mark trigger, have an acceptable fit & finish unlike the 700 rifle sold at the big box stores (that looks like its been blasted with road gravel).

Sorry for note getting back sooner. Still undecided and not sure I want another project right now. The post by short grass makes the most sense right now. The stock is a bit worn and a spider in the barrel all for $300. How's that for a price?
Thanks for the input
PS I was thinking 6.5-06 if I get it.

I purchased rem 721 in 30-06 years ago and it shot very well. I was out on a field shooting at a stake . The stake was about 1 inch wide and rifle had a redfield peep sighting mounted on it. My buddy was watching as I was shooting at the stake and told me to continue raising the sight thinking I was shooting to low. After about 5 shot at the stake, we walked over to the stake ,to examine the target stake. The hole pattern was vertical up the stake as my buddy told me to raise the sight. This after I had repaired the stock as 721 stocks were horrible. gun)

guess I've been lucky with the 721's I've built from. i find them better than the new 700's as to true dimension on OD and a better bolt to raceway fit. If the extractor fails, replace with SAKO or M16 style. NBD

My parents purchased a 721 in 30'06 back in the 60's, a birthday present for my mother's father. Daddy Frank, as I called my grandfather, didn't shoot the gun more than 100 rounds. After he passed, my mother got the gun in inheritance and at my 18th birthday, my folks gave me the gun. I refinished the stock and spiffed her up and she is not only a dead-eye Dick shooter....but she is really purty. That gun will never leave my family and is currently my primary hunting fire stick.

I will agree with a previous post that a 721, 30'06 kicks like a Jack Mule with that stock and a metal butt plate, but it is still deadly accurate. I love the gun.

Yes it drives tacks, but the factory stock was not the best in the world. I end up trade it off for mauser action for another build.

I could see that, my wife doesn't shoot past 200 yards and it fits her like a glove, cant argue with meet in the freezer. its also killed more elk than I could ever count from when her grandpa used it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.