Remington Model 721

redsnow

Guys, a while back I bought an M 721, it's a 30-06. The gun needs a good cleaning, otherwise it's in good shape.

I'm just curious, what can a feller do to the trigger? I've never taken the stock off, yet. Does it adjust similar to a M700 trigger?

It's an old rifle, I'll bet it's never been shot much.

It's got a 24" barrel, anyone have any experience shooting one of these antiques? It sure does handle nice. (that metal butt-plate, Hmmm, it's gotta go!)

Thanks.

a google search said it adjusts like a 700. i only adjust the front two. not the sear.

I have had two 721's, one a 30-06 and one a 270. They are good rifles and the triggers are adjustable and very similar to the 700's. SOME will adjust down to 2-3 lbs. but be careful and test by SLAMMING the bolt shut a few times and DO NOT mess with the sear! The safety is a little different; as previously mentioned. They DO kick like a mule with the heavier bullets and the steel butt plate (not for sissys):D! I built a custom 300 RUM on my '06 but changed the stock or it would have been unbearable! Sometimes a bedding job and floating the barrel, will make them shoot very well, if it doesn't already. Good luck ................Rich

+1 on 721 nice rifles mine was accurate. With 180's it was stiff recoil with 200g and above my rifle was brutal the drop of the comb of stock I believe was the reason other then solid butt plate. After seeing a rebuild of a 721 in .06AI on this forum wish I would have kept it. Nice rifle lot to work with if needed.

+1 on 721 nice rifles mine was accurate. With 180's it was stiff recoil with 200g and above my rifle was brutal the drop of the comb of stock I believe was the reason other then solid butt plate. After seeing a rebuild of a 721 in .06AI on this forum wish I would have kept it. Nice rifle lot to work with if needed.

I agree on the drop being a big part of the recoil! Also, I now wish I would have re chambered my old 721 '06 to 300 Sherman. At the time, I hadn't developed this chambering yet. It is a simple conversion with not much cost and a lot of gain. 300 WSM ballistics on an '06 case.........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.