Remington 700 SA Remage barrel or just a second barrel?

rakkikoira

Need schooling on these Remage barrels please. I currently have a Remington 700 SA in .308, a number of years ago I picked up a second bolt for .223 and had a second barrel fitted to my action and bolt. I just use a simple barrel wrench to swap barrels. Is simple and has served me well.

What are the pros and cons of this method vs. the Remage barrel setup that I hear about?

Thanks

IMO, if you've got the barrel vise and action wrench, it's no more difficult (easier in fact, I think) to unscrew a barrel, and screw another one on provided you've got the witness marks to clock it/set headspace repeatably and accurately.

The advantage of barrel nut systems is pre-chambered barrels, that can be mass-produced and don't need to be chambered and fitted by a smith (or DIY'er with a lathe).

IMO, if you've got the barrel vise and action wrench, it's no more difficult (easier in fact, I think) to unscrew a barrel, and screw another one on provided you've got the witness marks to clock it/set headspace repeatably and accurately.

The advantage of barrel nut systems is pre-chambered barrels, that can be mass-produced and don't need to be chambered and fitted by a smith (or DIY'er with a lathe).

Exactly my thoughts also. If you are comfortable with just unscrewing your barrel and screwing a new barrel on then stick with it. The remage are just nice for the fact they can be mass produced and you can just order them already chambered so you dont have to wait 6months for a smith to build it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.