Is barrel switching for a Remington 700

Southernfryedyankee

as easy as doing a Savage (If you know how to do a Savage barrel switch)? Can someone please explain how to do a Remington 700 barrel switch please.

In a word...nope. You can adjust headspace with the barrel nut on the savage. With the remington your going to have several ways to adjust headspace, most are best done in a lathe. If you get lucky and find a barrel that headspaces short on your rifle you can use a reamer to adjust the headspace. Otherwise your going to be moving the shoulder or hunting a thinner recoil lug to get it right.

I just had my 700 at the smith last winter. Laped the lugs and readjusted the head space. And some other things I realy dont know how thay did it. But I can tell u it stoots better now than it did in my old beded stock. It is going to get piller beded

Southernfryedyankee, Pacnor has told me that if I send them a REM700 actioned rifle and let them install a new barrel, they can then measure the distance from the bolt face to the front of the action (or something like that) and then they can make barrels for me later from these dimensions.

They can make fully chambered and headspaced REM700 barrels based on the measurements they take. You can then install them yourself and switch them at any time. No nut required.

I have considerd this as an alternative to buying a Savage and using the nut, but then you are tied to whomever you chose to chamber and headspace your barrels for you. That would not necessarily be a bad thing though.

With a Savage and the nut you can buy prechambered and headspaced barrels used and/or from several manufactures.

I have read articles about benchrest shooters who switch preheadspaced barrels at the range sometimes between matches ...

I think any reputable smith should be able to do this for you.

dwm, Everything you said is absolutely correct.....and I own a couple of remington switch barrel guns....and just reading the post without the context of another post by southernfried yankee would make it seem that I thought switchbarrels on a remington is a bad idea which is not the case at all.
I think without the added context that he was talking about switching a barrel from one rifle to another rifle my post could be misunderstood. Or possibly I misunderstood his question and read more into it, because of another post I attributed to him.

Southernfryedyankee, Pacnor has told me that if I send them a REM700 actioned rifle and let them install a new barrel, they can then measure the distance from the bolt face to the front of the action (or something like that) and then they can make barrels for me later from these dimensions.

They can make fully chambered and headspaced REM700 barrels based on the measurements they take. You can then install them yourself and switch them at any time. No nut required.

I have considerd this as an alternative to buying a Savage and using the nut, but then you are tied to whomever you chose to chamber and headspace your barrels for you. That would not necessarily be a bad thing though.

With a Savage and the nut you can buy prechambered and headspaced barrels used and/or from several manufactures.

I have read articles about benchrest shooters who switch preheadspaced barrels at the range sometimes between matches ...

I think any reputable smith should be able to do this for you.

Sorry eddybo, I had not considered switching REM700 barrels from one rifle to another without re-headspacing them. Now I am not sure what his question was ...

That would be cool though, but unless the two REM700 actions were machined to dimensionally match each other it would not work, huh ...

Sort of like the Accuracy International actions, have you seen that video? They show switching factory prechambered barrels on one action and also switching bolts and then several factory prechambered barrels on the same action in that video. Pretty impressive.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.