remington switch barrel question

foreign

why is it that people don't make more remingtion style action switch barrel guns. I do it a bunch with a savage but it seems like with a Remington style action it should be just as easy once you have the barrel set up with the shoulder in the right place. then just need an action wrench and barrel vice and maybe a new bolt.

what am I missing?

im meaning doing it without having a nut to me means you can screw the barrel in a tinny bit further and then tighten the nut. if you just made it with a shoulder then it wouldn't matter. if you alwas torqued to the same spec you should always have the same head space. I guess it means having to machine up individual barrels for an action. but they could also be made readyto thread on but needing the last of the shoulder on the barrel trimmed up by a smith before fitting.

People have been building switch barrel rifles on Remington for years. Pinning the recoil lug really helps keep the process simple. All that is needed is a barrel vise and action wrench. Of course a different bolt if a different case head is used.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.