Remington 700 Long Range - 25-06

Ok. So I had some gunsmithing work done to the Remington 700 LRH before I took her out shooting again. The gunsmith bedded the action, lapped the bolt lugs (I guess only one of the lugs was making contact with the casing), and tuned the factory trigger slightly.... all for $100 bucks which was a steal.

Anyways, I took her out shooting with my father in law yesterday. First, we seated a bullet in the chamber to check the lands which turned out to be 3.226". We decided to back off the overall length to 3.210" and test her out. We went with Nosler's recommended recipe for 100 grain Nosler BT's (52.5 grains of RL 19) with a federal 110 primer.

After working up the loads, I fired 6 shots and saw 1" groups. ****... Not much better then last time. I was getting 3400 ft/s on the chrono.

Next we worked up 6 more loads with the same recipe and let my father in laws buddy shoot (experienced long range bench rest shooter). He shot 3, stood up, laughed, and said, "you sure as hell got some practice to do".

The picture of his first and only 3 shots with gun are shown below (first pic).....

I then practiced with 9 more loads and got the results shown in the second picture.

Not bad for a sub $900 hunting rifle.... :)

Thanks for all the posts and recommendations guys.

a lot of times the accuracy loads for a certain rifle and cartridge are a little slower than the typical hot load. I'd drop down to something in the 3200fps area, and work from there. Brother used 4831, and 4350 for a lot of long range shooting. The bullet you selected is really nothing but a pretty good hunting bullet, and I wouldn't expect it to group like somekind of a match bullet. The bullet is an excellent white tail deer round, and I've killed 300+ lb. deer in Michigan with it.
gary

Try some H4831 SC and Nosler 115 B.T. CCI Large Rifle Primers. H4831SC has worked great with 75 gr V Max 85 gr NBT,100 gr Sierra and 115 NBT.I get very good accuracy and velocity out of H4831. Velocity is not as much a concern as accuracy. You'll love it when you shoot something with it. Kinda like liquid lightning.

I ditched the 100gr. bullets long time ago. I couldn't find a load my 25.06 liked. I ended up shooting 110 gr Noslers with a full load of 4831SC into consistent 1/2" groups. Also, yesterday I shot .477 and .388 using 75 gr V-Max's with a full load of IMR 4064. Me a happy camper.

IMR4831 has been my "go-to" in two 25/06's for about 15 yrs. I shoot 100gr bullets only.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.