remington 700 excess headspace

argeea

replacing bolt on rem 700 22-250. After working on lugs some, bolt engages really good, but bolt closes on nogo gauge. By using some scotch tape on bottom end of nogo gauge, I determined bolt is 5 to 7 thousands too short or chamber too long by same length.
Old bolt checked out with go, nogo and field gauges recently. any ideas? I was thinking of removing barrel and having shop trim at base of chamber and threads base by same length. Would Appreciate any input!!

I'm an unapologetic do- it- yourselfer and sometimes it turns out worse but it is satisfying most of the times

old bolt had to go (electronic trigger rifle) no parts for it. needed new bolt, trigger and some stock work

I see 2 options, #1 have the barrel set back to proper head space (set it back a full turn and you can have a fresh throat, too), or #2 ,create a false shoulder on the neck by necking up to 6mm then necking back down to .22 part way. The false should would be positioned as to keep the base of the cartridge against the bolt face, thus the brass stretches at the front and not at the head. I'd opt for option #1 so I didn't have a lot of extra work with the brass when reloading and I could use off the shelf ammo in a pinch.

yes. number 1 option makes lots of sense. just removed barrel and will take it to smith and have them set it back at least .007. it should then check out ok with nogo gauge.
thanks alot for your info!!

All good options above, a third option is to surface grind the recoil lug down that .005-.007. If it is a stock Remington lug you may find another lug the actual thickness you need. The barrel roll marks will rotate up to an eighth of a turn. Also the bolt head clearance will get closer, but probably needs to right now.
Just a thought.

replacing bolt on rem 700 22-250. After working on lugs some, bolt engages really good, but bolt closes on nogo gauge. By using some scotch tape on bottom end of nogo gauge, I determined bolt is 5 to 7 thousands too short or chamber too long by same length.
Old bolt checked out with go, nogo and field gauges recently. any ideas? I was thinking of removing barrel and having shop trim at base of chamber and threads base by same length. Would Appreciate any input!!

I'm an unapologetic do- it- yourselfer and sometimes it turns out worse but it is satisfying most of the times

old bolt had to go (electronic trigger rifle) no parts for it. needed new bolt, trigger and some stock work
Was there anything wrong with the old bolt beside no ammo/primers?

I might want to buy it just out of curiosity.

All good options above, a third option is to surface grind the recoil lug down that .005-.007. If it is a stock Remington lug you may find another lug the actual thickness you need. The barrel roll marks will rotate up to an eighth of a turn. Also the bolt head clearance will get closer, but probably needs to right now.
Just a thought.

would need recoil lug of .180" tick

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.