Remington 700 action screw torque

Rem81

I was wondering what I should torque action screws too? Rifle is a Remington 700 with factory bottom metal and a hs persision sporter stock with an aluminum bedding block also is bedded. When received from gunsmith they were at 40 inch pound. I always went 65 inch pound on other rifles! Should I torque higher than 40 inch pound? The rifle shoots first shot 3 inches straight up then will stack them in at 1/2" group 3 inches lower at hundred yards. It is a 25-06ai and I am still fireforming brass from 25-06 brass.

dfanonymous

In my experience torquing is a tuning procedure.
If I’m getting groups worst then what I normally shoot without trying to hard, then I torque low to high in 5 inch lbs increments. Then fine tune by 2. Your sweet spot can be anywhere in between.

But yes, typically most chassis type/aluminum block type stocks can usually handle over 60 inch lbs. This just might not be “the best” spot for that rifle.

DJ Fergus

The tuning procedure dfanonymous described works, especially on an unbedded HS stock. Its suggested by some that if an hs is bedded that its not as affected by different torque values from 40 up to 65 inch lbs. I have saw this to be true at times and yet sometimes a rifle would still respond better when doing that procedure even when bedded. Im sure it has to do with the quality of the bedding job also. Nothing to lose and all to gain by doing the procedure whether bedded or not bedded.