Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor feed problem

Mram10us

Rebarreled a 308 sa rem 700 bdl to a 6.5 cm. When I load the rounds, they rock slightly and will not feed. Bend the spring each way doesn't help. Action to stock to dbm fitment allows for maybe .050" slop. Doesn't seem like enough to make a difference. Before I bend the lips on the box, I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. Thanks guys

Check the magazine follower for straightness. The shells should ride the lips of the magazine smooth till they are trapped in the action and chambering.
Check the lips of the magazine for burrs, Stone edges of magazine lips smooth if needed

Main problem is the shells rock up and down slightly. The front shoulder of the case seems to pivot slightly on the mag box or feed rails. I need to remove the scope rail to see a bit better. I'll post a video when I get time. I have taken red scotchbrite to the feed rails and mag box to smooth things out to start.

Ended up taking a socket and pushing it thru the mag box lips to open them up a bit. Bent the follower spring more nose forward. Filed then polished the action feed rails and now all works well.

Shorter cartridges like the Creedmoor work best in a centerfeed mag box. Their short body allows the front of the round the move to soon if not controlled. That is the reason that some magazines come with a spacer in the back for shorter rounds to better control the round.

Even though the cartridge Overall length is similar to the 260 rem, the body is shorter so it needs to be controlled by tuning/bending the lips on a centerfeed mag.

J E CUSTOM

My 6.5 klr (260 improved) works fine from a normal setup. Same reamer just pushed in enough to use 260 brass. Weird that the shorter length causes issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.