rem 870 super mag

red dawg

I am going to buy one in the next 3 weeks, does anyone have one , and tell me ur likes and dislikes

I have had one for a few years. To me it is just like any other 870 except for being able to chamber a sick of dynamite. I had shot a lot of 3" mag 12s and big bore rifles over the years but the first time I shot my super mag 870 with a 3 1/2 turkey shell loaded with 2 1/2 oz of 4 shot it was EYE OPENING. Or should I say EYE CLOSING. I had on a tee shirt, flannel shirt a M65 Army field jacket with the heavy winter liner in it on. I was sitting down with elbows resting on my knees shooting at a target 40 yards away to see what kind of pattern I got with the .665 choke. The first time I pulled the trigger it kicked so hard it rolled me over on my back. After 5 shots I could not shoot any more that day. Since then I have found that the 2 oz loads of 5 shot from Winchester and Federal do not kick as hard but really shoot tight and a turkey does not stand a chance out to 60 yards. I also know some fellows in east NC that use these to deer hunt with using buck shot and kill deer out to 80 yards or so with no problem. One fellow uses 4 buck for really thick areas where shots are not over 50 yards and it looks like a claymore mine has been set off when he shoots. I have worked up a load with a 1 oz Lee turn key slug using 2 3/4" shells and use a Rem rifled choke tube that will shoot a ragged hole group at 60 yards. I have not had time to shoot it at longer distances. Good guns but be ready the first time you shoot a 3 1/2" if you have never shot one before. :D

Thanks R T , I have a mossberg 535 and too kicks pretty hard, but I ask about the super mag for the quality of the gun, and my gunsmith has played with chokes and various loads in it , and told me what u did on the federal turkey loads , shooting well with slight recoil benefit thanks for the info

I love my Super Mag. I don't shoot anything but 3.5" shells in it. I don't mind the recoil. My best factory loads were with Nitro Ammo Company shells and with the choke they recommended. I've since started loading TSS and love its pattern with a 2.5 oz load #7.5's. I get 322-354(depending on the choke) pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds.

If you'd like a lighter, smaller turkey gun, get an 870 compact with a 21" barrel and start loading TSS. That's a sweet setup. Either way, good luck.

I had one for several years and sold it after having shoulder surgery, i shoot a 20 gauge now for turkeys. Wish I'd done it years ago.

Mine was a SPS and a quality gun, killed a bunch of turkeys with it. It shot #6 heavyshot very well. Yes it kicked like a mule, to the point of bruising my cheek on a bad position shot at a turkey. I also had a mossberg 835 the felt recoil was less than the 870, the mossberg was junk IMO.

I had one,but I traded it away. They are not pleasant to shoot. I got an 1187 supermag. I do a fair amount of waterfowl hunting and I find 3 inch is more than enough to get the job done even on geese.

Mine wouldn't. I sent it back to Remington once to see if they could fix it. It never reliably cycled light loads. The new ones might. Mine is over 10 yrs old.

Thanks for the quick reply I guess I will stick with the pump super mag for various critters

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.