rem 700 SA into pistol???

Just about as far as you want, depending on cartridge, the conditions, and of course, the ability of the one pulling the trigger.

Well i'm not to worried about the ability part but i can't decide whether i want to start out small and work my way up or just go full bore right off the start. 243 w/1in8 or 300wsm...decisions decisions...

I went with the 7wsm and love it. I'm pushing a 168gr bullet to 2850 with a 17.75" barrel and couldn't ask for better preformance!

Well i guess i don't have to do a 20" barrel to get speed then... i just want to shoot 1k at pds to antlope maybe elk if i go 300wsm and i'd be happy its alot but i don't see why not

Awesome picture post Matt!

I have a 19" cut down factory sporter barrel in 300WSM on a Savage Striker action.
Velocities are from memory as data is packed and I haven't watched the video for some time. All loads are with reloader 17.

130gr Barnes 3360ish
150gr Sierra 3250
168 Barnes 2975
Neal

I have 4 Remington 700 actions that are registered as pistols. I purchased these actions as actions from Remington. They are not rifle brake down parts. Midway and Brownells sold these actions for a few years until Remington quit offering them. If you can find one of these actions they are no different then a Stiller,Bat,Nesika or any other action they can be registered as a pistol as long as the number on the action was never registered as a rifle. I contacted the BATF 3 times to make sure it was legal and they said the Remington action was the same as any other action and it could be used as a pistol. Ross

Ross
If you take one of those Rem 700 actions and screw a long barrel in it that would put the length with say a Russo stock at over 26", is it not then a "Rifle" by ATF standards? And can you then put a barrel on it that would make the overall length less than 26" making it a pistol again?
The ATF rifle vs pistol is very confusing and it seems that even the ATF cant give you a consistent answer.
Dave

I contacted the ATF with several questions and I was referred to 3 different locations. I finally spoke to the office in Virginia where the legal end of the rules are written. They told me that in order to be legal as a rifle it needed to be 26" overall lenght with a 16" barrel. When I asked about taking a 700 action and making a pistol on that action they said if you purchased it as a receiver that it was just that until you put a barrel on it and made it a operational firearm. At that point it was a rifle or pistol. They said that was the rules. The guy also told me that the rules were intended for people buying a rifle and then cutting the barrel off and turing it into a pistol. I asked him about buying a Savage target action and making it into a pistol and he told me it is the same rules no matter what action you use. I have 4 Remington 700 actions that are pistols and registered as such. Ross

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.