Remington 700 CP chassis pistol - anyone have one ?

you looking to "sbr" it by putting a brace on it? or you actually looking for a pistol in centerfire caliber
I'm debating form 1 it and putting a stock on it vs leaving it as a pistol and putting a extended eye relief scope on it , I have a bunch of rifles all ready figured it would be neat pistol to try with my bog pod tripod set up , I have the qd bog pod set up on
Most of my rifles

I'm debating form 1 it and putting a stock on it vs leaving it as a pistol and putting a extended eye relief scope on it , I have a bunch of rifles all ready figured it would be neat pistol to try with my bog pod tripod set up , I have the qd bog pod set up on
Most of my rifles

One thing to keep in mind about SBRing is that it gets much harder to cross state lines. With modern braces there's not many good reasons to SBR...unless you like collecting stamps of course:cool:

Most of my rifles
if you are going to form 1 sbr it, start with a rifle action and build what you want not a pistol--cheaper
if you want to "play" with an sbr without the 200 stamp and wait time, then get the pistol and a brace--hence the reason Remington built it on an "AR parts acceptable" chassis, so you can add a brace without the stamp -- you can put any length barrel on a pistol, but a rifle can only go down to 16" until you get the stamp
One thing to keep in mind about SBRing is that it gets much harder to cross state lines. With modern braces there's not many good reasons to SBR...unless you like collecting stamps of course:cool:
Crossing state lines with an sbr is easy as long as they are legal there.. just fill out the notification form and send it to the atf ahead of your trip
If you might ever use it for hunting make sure you check your regs....here in CO you cant use an sbr for hunting, and there is no pistol season so they must be used in rifle season, also braces are not allowed on pistols for hunting.....now Texas is a whole different boat

co hunt - first off thanks for all the info. I am quite familiar with NFA regs own a bunch of nfa items (some real fun stuff too wink wink) , I just didn't realize you couldn't use a SBR to hunt with here! honestly I never bothered to check the manual, thanks for filling me in. I re-looked at it this am.

I know you can hunt with a suppressor and assumed you could use a sbr, so forget sbr-ing it and forget about the pistol with the "brace".

I was looking for something smaller for a back pack hunt. I had narrowed it down to this or a encore.

co hunt - first off thanks for all the info. I am quite familiar with NFA regs own a bunch of nfa items (some real fun stuff too wink wink) , I just didn't realize you couldn't use a SBR to hunt with here! honestly I never bothered to check the manual, thanks for filling me in. I re-looked at it this am.

I know you can hunt with a suppressor and assumed you could use a sbr, so forget sbr-ing it and forget about the pistol with the "brace".

I was looking for something smaller for a back pack hunt. I had narrowed it down to this or a encore.
yup, CO has some weird hunting laws--- it does state in the books that SBR's, SBS's and full auto are not allowed for hunting (no NFA items other than suppressors are allowed)-- the "no braces" part actually came from the "head of enforcement" officer -- I asked about the legality of braces for hunting and was passed off for weeks, finally I got a response back in writing that said the law says "no pistol attachments" are allowed by law for big game hunting, which to him meant that braces would not be legal--not sure if the "common" field officer would know that or not, but I don't take chances when it comes to my hunting privileges

also, you said "back pack hunt"-- be careful with a pistol when it comes to "concealment" -- if you take a pistol hunting with you (weather for a primary weapon or sidearm/protection) and you do NOT have a concealed carry permit--technically you can be in violation of "concealed carry" laws if you keep it in your back pack or hidden in any way--- CPW officers are generally fairly lenient when it comes to sidearms during rifle season, but be warned that you must use the "season" weapon to take down your game--if you hunt in muzzle loader or archery season, technically you can NOT "dispatch" your game with anything other than what is legal for the season---- so a still breathing deer can not be legally dispatched via handgun during archery season even if you first shoot it with your arrow. It would be legal in rifle season though.

I have a CCW permit so I can pretty much carry any pistol concealed in any manner during any hunting season as long as I also have the "season legal" method of take on me--also you can carry a loaded un-cased pistol on your vehicle, but not long gun--- I always carry a side arm when hunting and have never had any issues with CPW, but make sure you abide by the rules as each officer is human and they have good and bad days

good luck, I would go with the encore

yup, CO has some weird hunting laws--- it does state in the books that SBR's, SBS's and full auto are not allowed for hunting (no NFA items other than suppressors are allowed)-- the "no braces" part actually came from the "head of enforcement" officer -- I asked about the legality of braces for hunting and was passed off for weeks, finally I got a response back in writing that said the law says "no pistol attachments" are allowed by law for big game hunting, which to him meant that braces would not be legal--not sure if the "common" field officer would know that or not, but I don't take chances when it comes to my hunting privileges

also, you said "back pack hunt"-- be careful with a pistol when it comes to "concealment" -- if you take a pistol hunting with you (weather for a primary weapon or sidearm/protection) and you do NOT have a concealed carry permit--technically you can be in violation of "concealed carry" laws if you keep it in your back pack or hidden in any way--- CPW officers are generally fairly lenient when it comes to sidearms during rifle season, but be warned that you must use the "season" weapon to take down your game--if you hunt in muzzle loader or archery season, technically you can NOT "dispatch" your game with anything other than what is legal for the season---- so a still breathing deer can not be legally dispatched via handgun during archery season even if you first shoot it with your arrow. It would be legal in rifle season though.

I have a CCW permit so I can pretty much carry any pistol concealed in any manner during any hunting season as long as I also have the "season legal" method of take on me--also you can carry a loaded un-cased pistol on your vehicle, but not long gun--- I always carry a side arm when hunting and have never had any issues with CPW, but make sure you abide by the rules as each officer is human and they have good and bad days

good luck, I would go with the encore

Yeah I have my ccw so it would be a non issue , thanks for clarifying the attachments question for "pistols"

likely just gonna go with the encore so I can get a muzzle barrel for it to

Not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze for the CP

Between the Remington CP and an Encore, I'd take the Encore almost every time. An Encore will let you have either a longer barrel in a more compact package, or a more compact package with the same length barrel compared to the Rem. Plus an Encore can be easily carried in a shoulder holster if you wanted to. I carry my Savage Strikers in an Eberlestock pack and they're very easy to pack around, but it's pretty slow to get them out and get a shot off if you need to.

Just wondering what the general consensus is on these ? Was considering one in .308 with a suppressor for Sub 300 yard shots ? Or maybe just go with a single shot pistol ?
They shoot as good as any factory 700 will.
It comes down to the style of specialty pistol that you want and your budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts