Rem 700 LR 25-06 - reloading help

How does it shoot fact. ammo? If you have the same results then I would contact Remington now.
If fact. ammo works good then stick with that bullet weight, save 1 rnd measure its oal then pull the bullet dump the powder fire off the primer reseat the bullet just enough to hold it in place and chamber it, measure that oal and compare the 2 oal's the difference is how far off the lands your rifle likes that weight. remember that
Now using whatever choice of bullet in the above weight size a piece of brass and seat your bullet in the EMPTY UN PRIMED brass just enough to hold it and chamber take a oal measurement and subtract what ever figure you have come up with, that is your seating depth.
EG, a fact rnd = oal 3.5",,,, at .025" off the groves gives you 3/4" @100 yrd
then whatever brand of bullet you load you want use the same weight and seat it .025 off the groves, your oal will change but as long as it cycles thru the mag you should be able to find a sweet spot with any of the popular powders for that cal

How does it shoot fact. ammo? If you have the same results then I would contact Remington now.
If fact. ammo works good then stick with that bullet weight, save 1 rnd measure its oal then pull the bullet dump the powder fire off the primer reseat the bullet just enough to hold it in place and chamber it, measure that oal and compare the 2 oal's the difference is how far off the lands your rifle likes that weight. remember that
Now using whatever choice of bullet in the above weight size a piece of brass and seat your bullet in the EMPTY UN PRIMED brass just enough to hold it and chamber take a oal measurement and subtract what ever figure you have come up with, that is your seating depth.
EG, a fact rnd = oal 3.5",,,, at .025" off the groves gives you 3/4" @100 yrd
then whatever brand of bullet you load you want use the same weight and seat it .025 off the groves, your oal will change but as long as it cycles thru the mag you should be able to find a sweet spot with any of the popular powders for that cal

That sounds way more tedious than what I do. If it's the same bullet, couldn't he just measure the over all length of the cartridge of the factory ammo?

That sounds way more tedious than what I do. If it's the same bullet, couldn't he just measure the over all length of the cartridge of the factory ammo?
just because it is a 115 grn sp compared to another 115 grn sp when set at the same depth they will be different jumps to the rifleing, due to the design of the bullets. There are tools out there that will make the job much easyer (a bullet comperiter of some sort or another). If you donot have have one of these fancy smancy tools the red neck way that is above works

just because it is a 115 grn sp compared to another 115 grn sp when set at the same depth they will be different jumps to the rifleing, due to the design of the bullets. There are tools out there that will make the job much easyer (a bullet comperiter of some sort or another). If you donot have have one of these fancy smancy tools the red neck way that is above works

I never did buy one of those. I just use my cleaning rod and a pencil to push the bullet to the lands. I've found, though, if the factory round is using 115 grain Partitions, then my 115 grain Partitions that I buy are close enough to work. Different methods, but we're getting to the same place.

However, Nosler's listed most accurate over all lengths have been right on for all my rifles.

+1 on the Nosler most accurate load tested, most accurate powder tested. I've yet to find one better than what they list in their manual with their bullets. I wish Nosler published pressure data along with the load data.

I too have a lr, seeing the total cost of a rifle being only slightly more than the action I couldn't pass it up. Not a 2506, but 300 rum. I did find theses things about it. The aluminum block sucks, bed the action, I pulled my trigger in favor of another timney and don't regret it. also changing seating depth has made drastic changes to accuracy. Currently loading the ELD X about .005 under mag length and put a sub .5 moa group at 200. Also the gun loved factory hsm loaded with bergers to Sammi, I was able to duplicate that load , but wanted to try the hornady. Good luck although frustrating this can be the fun part.

Mav there alot of top end smiths in penn. i would clean it and have one bore scope it if you don't have one. had a new rr series 700 come through here and the barrel was crap at both ends. and i'm not knocking remingtons. i have a bunch of them, they just need a little tweaking sometimes.

Thanks again for all the help. As an update, I took the gun completely apart, bedded the action with acraglass, replaced the trigger, and put it back together with proper torque settings. I retested the overall length using Accubond 110. I now have a rifle that shoots under 1" groups at 100 yds.....now I can play with different powders and I have a gun that I can work with.
I can now calculate the extra time and money required to have this rifle shoot almost as well as an out of the box savage.

I tested several powders in my Rem700 25-06 and found H4831SC to be the most accurate and best speed.

I also went the same accuracy issues and after a new stock, trigger, and bedding the recoil lug, I am around .75 MOA.

Good luck.

jjw

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.