Rem 700 LR 25-06 - reloading help

MavPA

I have a rem 700 LR (26" barrel 10 twist) in 25-06. This gun is giving me fits. I have tried every powder/weight combination from Varget to Retumbo with numerous primers (rem 9.5, CCI BR2, Fed 210M). Nothing groups from this gun, all groups are 3-4" at 100 yds
The scope is not the issue, i rechecked torque and the scope works fine on my 270 win.
I thought maybe my scale was not consistent so I started using 3 different scales, it is not the scale.
Brass is cleaned (sonic and tumbled), neck sized, primer uniform, flash hole debur, cases sorted by weight, etc.....all the stuff that has worked on the other 30+ guns that I have developed accurate loads.
Barrel was broken in using the 1 shot 10x, 3 shot 5x, 5 shot 5x method and is cleaned every 15-20 rounds
I have shot the barrel hot and cold.
I do not like the remington trigger, but it has been adjusted to the lowest setting (about 4#), I should be able to get better than 3" groups with that trigger.

The only thing I haven't done is change the distance to the lands. I usually find a powder/bullet and then adjust the distance. What do you do when nothing groups? Just pick a powder/bullet and start playing?

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

I am about to take the barrel off and use it as a tomato stake

Measure the true twist of your barrel. We have a 25-06 cdl that wouldn't group. It has some other issues but one was it wasn't a true 1:10 twist and it didn't stabilize 120 gr bullets. Try using a lighter/shorter bullet and see if that helps. Also try 4831. Mine just loves h4831 under 110g accubonds at .010" off the lands. I get 3050 fps and it hammers deer and antelope.

If that isn't your problem check the action screws and make sure the barrel is actually free floated in the stock.

3-4" groups at 100 doesn't sound very promising, it may be a little more expensive fix than a different bullet but that is where I would start.

Mav, is the barrel free floated and bedded? Have you contacted Remington? Although a better trigger would be nice, it won't reduce a 3-4" group that much. No two rifles like the same load, but with all the loads you've tried perhaps seating depth may help. I load for three 25-06's and they all like different powders and seating depths, they are all free floated and bedded. Perhaps you have a "tomato stake" which is a shame given the price of a 700 LR. Hope you find a solution.

Ah, the cure.....take your fired cases, forget about cleaning them, if you have some try good old fashion H-4350 the miracle powder and some 117 sierra spitzer boat tails seated to be a hair under max length to fit the magazine and some 9 1/2 rem primers... I've loaded this load for a dozen 25's over the years and have never seen it fail, not once....if it won't shoot with those components put a for sale sign on it or trade it away...check action for cracks underneath, broken base screws, another scope if you got one laying around, 3-4 inch groups at 100 tells me something is way out of alignment or loose, look at the crown real close with a magnifying glass- any hunks missing from edge...sometimes the patient dies no matter how talented the surgeon !! Good Luck..

Had the same issue with my 25-06 LR last year. Come to find out, the chamber wasn't reamed square with the bore. Sent it back to Remington, got it back in 2 weeks. Shoots great now. The new barrel has bad tooling marks but after a few fouling shoots it does great. Hits 10" steel targets at 700yrds.

I suggest you try a different bullet (or two) before you do anything that might cost a lot of money.

My Ruger #1V 25-06 did not like the Sierra 117 grain bullets, looked more like a shotgun pattern than a group, but shoots lights out with 4 other bullets 87-120 grains using several different powders.

I have a 700 LR 25-06 that's gave me a fit also ! Mine started out shoot great but progressively got worse over time . Turned out it needed a through cleaning with Sweets copper remover to make it shoot again . I was cleaning it but not getting all the copper out of the barrel , Made a world of difference !

I also had problems with a 700 long range. Mine was a .300 win mag. Booz and I worked with it and just couldn't get under 1 1/4 inches. Sent it off to Bigngreen. Turns out the barrel was cut a larger diameter in the center of the barrel. Don't ask me how. They also suggested it would make a good tomato stake. Put a new barrel on and got to 1/2 inch. Sounds like you may have that issue too. Bruce

IMR 4350 @ 47.5 grain w/ WLR primers using 110 grain Accubounds seated at 3.230".

This is in a M700 BDL SS DM w/ a 24" barrel.

I'm getting just shy of 3,000 fps. I could increase the speed more, but I can put 3 shots touching at 100 yds.

Been shooting the 25-06 for 20+ years.
I have found slow powders and magnum primers to work the best.
My rifle loves RE22, RE25 & RETUMBO. The magnum primers reduced groups by more than half. Either WLRM or FED215's give the best groups, I test both with identical loads, one is always a clear winner over the other.
I also find the sweet spot to be around .020"-.030" off with every bullet.

I think you may have a barrel issue, you could lap it and see if it helps.

Cheers.
gun)

I have a rem 700 LR (26" barrel 10 twist) in 25-06. This gun is giving me fits. I have tried every powder/weight combination from Varget to Retumbo with numerous primers (rem 9.5, CCI BR2, Fed 210M). Nothing groups from this gun, all groups are 3-4" at 100 yds
The scope is not the issue, i rechecked torque and the scope works fine on my 270 win.
I thought maybe my scale was not consistent so I started using 3 different scales, it is not the scale.
Brass is cleaned (sonic and tumbled), neck sized, primer uniform, flash hole debur, cases sorted by weight, etc.....all the stuff that has worked on the other 30+ guns that I have developed accurate loads.
Barrel was broken in using the 1 shot 10x, 3 shot 5x, 5 shot 5x method and is cleaned every 15-20 rounds
I have shot the barrel hot and cold.
I do not like the remington trigger, but it has been adjusted to the lowest setting (about 4#), I should be able to get better than 3" groups with that trigger.

The only thing I haven't done is change the distance to the lands. I usually find a powder/bullet and then adjust the distance. What do you do when nothing groups? Just pick a powder/bullet and start playing?

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

I am about to take the barrel off and use it as a tomato stake

FWIW, here are my thoughts/suggestions:
Is the barrel free-floated, as others have said? If it is, that's one thing check-marked off the list.
What bullet(s) have you tried? For some reason, some guns just don't like a particular bullet. One of my 25-06's can't keep partitions of any weight inside of a 3" circle at 100 yards.
I have had my best luck with the AB 110's.
Have you removed the action from the stock and re-tightened the action back into the stock? I mean actually removing the action from the stock and checking the stock for any potential problems, THEN putting it back in and re-tightening the action?
I have heard of people removing their actions and when they put it back in they place a layer or two of a plastic milk jug between action and wood on the front action screw to give the barrel some clearance. I've never tried it so maybe someone else can chime in on that idea.
Both of my 25-06's have over 2000 rounds through them. One has over 3500. My CLTO on one is 3.38 and on the other 3.35 using the aforementioned 110 AB's. As such, I tried my 'old' load and neither would shoot worth beans. Ran through various powders like you did and finally found 7977 to be the magic dust for both of them.
One likes to be .1 off the lands w/ 59.5gr 7977 in Nosler brass with WLR primers and the other one likes to be .05 off the lands w/ 60 gr. 7977 in Norma brass w/ BR2 primers.

Going through all you have and trying everything everyone here has suggested and it still doesn't help, I would suggest tomato stake and a new barrel are in order. OR send the d**n thing back to big green.

While new Remington quality has slipped some, it should not shoot that poorly. Try a different scope and be certain everything is tight. Get it on a very solid bag set up. If still no luck, send it back and have the factory go over it. Or, have a good smith look at it. My Ruger 1V 25-06 loves 7828 with the 85 gr Speer and nothing else.

Thanks for all the advice. I have tried most of what was suggested (powders, bullets, cleaning). I will be back at the range again this weekend for one more try

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.