Rem 700 light primer strikes

You can remove the firing pin on a remington with a vise and a piece of nylon cord (Trotline staging). Put the bolt in a vise. Tie the srting in a loop about a foot long. Put one end in the notch and gently pull the firing pin back while unscrewing the shroud. Very easy and you don't have to buy any special tool if you have a way to hold the bolt like a vise. Changing the spring is a bigger deal, but I'll bet all of it just needs cleaning.
Use similar method except I have a penny with one corner cup off. There is a small notch in the firing pin assembly that I pit the penny in once I have pulled the pin back. that was it's locked back and you can unscrew/re-screw without holding the string back constantly. Biggest problem that I have run across is crud build up. Once cleaned they seem to work fine.

Use similar method except I have a penny with one corner cup off. There is a small notch in the firing pin assembly that I pit the penny in once I have pulled the pin back. that was it's locked back and you can unscrew/re-screw without holding the string back constantly. Biggest problem that I have run across is crud build up. Once cleaned they seem to work fine.
Done it that way too. Once again you don't have to buy anything if you have a vise. Most folks who work with their hands have one.

Ball powder 110 gr in .308. Second loading of the case.
Typo??? You put 110 gr of powder in a .308 win case? How so when the case capacity is about 56 gr? Thats almost doubled. That is the most compressed I have ever heard of. I would think impossible. What about the safety factor? IMHO. your lucky that gun didn't blow up with your face. I would never suggest that in any way. I will pray for you. Please stay safe.

Last edited:
Typo??? You put 110 gr of powder in a .308 win case? How so when the case capacity is about 56 gr? Thats almost doubled. That is the most compressed I have ever heard of. I would think impossible. What about the safety factor? IMHO. your lucky that gun didn't blow up with your face. I would never suggest that in any way. I will pray for you. Please stay safe.
Seriously???? LOL. That would have to be a smokeless muzzle loader. 110 gr BULLET over Winchester 748. Don't remember the weight of powder. It was 45 years ago and I was in in high school. They had been loaded a couple of years before they malfunctioned. Thinking powder expanded over time?? Couple of gunsmiths couldn't solve the problem. I finally figured it out. The rifle was a Rem 748. I even traded rifles to. Rem 700. Have avoided seriously compressed loads since.

Seriously???? LOL. That would have to be a smokeless muzzle loader. 110 gr BULLET over Winchester 748. Don't remember the weight of powder. It was 45 years ago and I was in in high school. They had been loaded a couple of years before they malfunctioned. Thinking powder expanded over time?? Couple of gunsmiths couldn't solve the problem. I finally figured it out. The rifle was a Rem 748. I even traded rifles to. Rem 700. Have avoided seriously compressed loads since.
You said, "ball powder 110gr in 308". I read it right. You wrote it a bit confusing. I new this HAD to be an oops. Sorry about the goof. Long time passed by.

Per chance did you change the brand of your shell holder? I recently ran into a weak primer strike issue using one of two shell holders, both same brand, for that caliber. What I did was using one of the shell holders that was not used in the load work-up. what I found there was a difference of .010 in the thickness between the two. The second shell holder allowed the shoulder be bumped back .012 versus .002.

Per chance did you change the brand of your shell holder? I recently ran into a weak primer strike issue using one of two shell holders, both same brand, for that caliber. What I did was using one of the shell holders that was not used in the load work-up. what I found there was a difference of .010 in the thickness between the two. The second shell holder allowed the shoulder be bumped back .012 versus .002.
Now I gotta go measure all mine.

Where did you get that tool and what is it called?
Brownells sells the sinclair
Version
1651058944034.png