• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Rem 700 Broken Bolt Handle- Need Smith recommendation.

Mike from Texas,
I'm assuming I'll have to have headspace checked with a new replacement bolt for a 700. As per previous comments, the Rem 700's haven't had the repeatable tolerances for direct replacement in bolt to receiver due to mass production as the newer tightly spec'd actions some companies now manufacture.
(I have a shoulder fit barrel.)

Mike from Texas,
I'm assuming I'll have to have headspace checked with a new replacement bolt for a 700. As per previous comments, the Rem 700's haven't had the repeatable tolerances for direct replacement in bolt to receiver due to mass production as the newer tightly spec'd actions some companies now manufacture.
(I have a shoulder fit barrel.)
It would be a good idea. If you are even a bit gun savvy, I would just buy a go gauge and check it yourself. Once confirmed to close on the go gauge, just put a piece of scotch tape on the back of the go gauge to check no-go. If it won't close you are good. If it does close then more work will be required.

With the PTG replacement bolt, not only do you get a better 1 piece bolt, but you also get the benefit of a more robust extractor over the factory Remington.

Just dropping in a PTG bolt may cause you more issues unless you want to send it to a smith and have it fitted and headspace set and counter bore opened up for the m16 extractor. ANY competent gunsmith should be able to install a handle. LongRifles Inc would be a good place. I used to do tig and solder, I don't think it really matters much as long as the job is done well.

I just pulled bolt off my other Rem 700 to try and it headspaced perfect.
Put one layer of painters tape and was too tight to close.
Now I can use that bolt if needed until I get mine repaired.
Almost pulled the trigger on one earlier with m16 extractor but thought about that exact thing bigngreen said about opening counterbore for clearance.
Then... I pulled one out of another rifle to check... and ... walla!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELPFUL REPLIES!
THIS SITE IS FULL OF TECHNICAL AS WELL AS COMMON KNOWLEDGE THAT USUALLY GETS US WHAT WE NEED!!

Thanks Rusty.
I actually thought of him or Kampfeld but didn't know if they're welding broken handles.
I'll check with him as well!
Thank you

Last edited:
Glad I found this thread. Just happened to me yesterday. Stiff load and I tried to pull on handle and it went like this. Had to take the barrel apart from the receiver (luckily it's a cheaper sps that I'm ok with not having scratches).

I'll look for some services that rewelds the bolt handle.

Attachments

• DCCF055B-CFB6-4DA5-BAF1-3B0759D5E837.jpeg
    DCCF055B-CFB6-4DA5-BAF1-3B0759D5E837.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Glad I found this thread. Just happened to me yesterday. Stiff load and I tried to pull on handle and it went like this. Had to take the barrel apart from the receiver (luckily it's a cheaper sps that I'm ok with not having scratches).

So can I take this to any machine shop to tig weld?
Not Tig welded. The handle is "Silver Soldered" "I call it Brazed" on the bolt. Find a GS that has Oxy Acetylene, a Bolt Jig and Heat sink. Make sure they know what they are doing due to the heat on the bolt.
I have too many other projects going on now. I have a full welding shop with Jewelers Oxy Acetylene.
After it is re-soldered you will have to Blue/Paint/Cerakote.
Another option is to buy a another "Bolt Assembly" and just change your firing pin & extractor out.

Nate Dagely at Straight Shot Gunsmithing has done several for me. He will fix the primary extraction if needed. Great work,good prices and quick turnaround.