Rem 700 bases and rings for NF SHV 5-20x56?

For a 700 magnum action - What bases and rings would you use for the 5-20x56 Nightforce SHV? Planning to reach 1,500 + yards. Leaning towards the 2 pc picatinny 20 MOA bases. I don't know what the correct ring height is.
Thank you.

I have 2 M700 rifles with NF 5-20X56mm scopes mounted on them. One is a LA magnum with a #6 contour Krieger barrel and the other is a SA 223 with a Sendero contour barrel. Both have a 1 piece 20 moa picatinny rail and the NF XTreme Duty Ultralite rings (6 screw) in the Low height. I have the NF flip up objective lens caps on them and have plenty of clearance.
I have had these scopes for only a short period of time, but so far I have been very happy with the function and sight picture.
Hope this helps

I have a 20moa medium height NF Direct Mount on my hunting rifle w/ the 4-14x50F1 SHV and I love it. It's a little peace of mind getting that extra connection out of there in hunting situations.

Thanks, I didn't know they made a direct mount. It makes sense. Do they have a 2 pc direct mount w out the bridge? (My gun smith always tells me to use 2 pc mounts. He has built numerous world class record setting rifles. So I do what he says.)

I prefer to use a Seekins aluminum rail if trying to save a little weight, or a steel Nightforce if weight is not a concern. I prefer those in a one piece, with either of those options, as they have a recoil lug that butts up to the front of the action, taking the stress off the base screws. Not sure why your smith insists on two piece.

That SHV only has 80 MOA on tap, so 20 MOA is about all I would go with that scope. A 30 MOA might work....

Either option for me gets Seekins rings.

80 MOA isn't enough? I was using a 65 MOA scope prior, with flat bases and it took me to 1200. My chart for my 7STW says 41 MOA drop at 2,000 yards. (150 gr Nosler BT @3,500 fps)
Are you saying with only 80 MOA and tapered bases it is possible to run out down adjustment to make it at zero at 200 yards?

You better take another look at your drops......it's more than double your 41 MOA to 2K.......
And 3500 is pretty sporty for a 150 in a STW.

Most people figure when you mount a scope, it's in the middle of the adjustment range of the scope when zeroed. I find it to be on the wrong side of the middle more often then not. But assuming so, there's only 40 MOA of up left. Any amount of windage dialed in for zero, reduces your "up" as well.

I'd feel safe getting a 200 zero with a 20 MOA base, a 30, not so much so.....

Yeah, that drop must be wrong.
I just downloaded a new ballistic app and I'm not sure how the drag models are entered. I can't figure the **** thing out. It seems simple enough but I am doing something wrong. When I put in G7 like Nosler says you should do it doesn't seem correct. My old range cards are down in the basement. I will have to compare because those setting were dead on. It's been a while since I have done this. My rifle was set up 28-29 years ago. I haven't changed a thing since. After load development I loaded a lot of ammo to last years of deer hunting. The loading equipment has been gathering dust since!
But I do plan on having my 150s going 3,500 fps. I am replacing a 26" barrel that gets 3,360 fps now with a new Hart 30" barrel. Those four inches of barrel should be worth 150 fps withe the STW case.

I used Gunwerks Ballistics this time. 92.4 MOA for 2,000 yards. With the 80moa NF and 20 MOA base I would get about 60 moa of up adjustment. That takes me to 1,700 yards. It goes under 1,000 ftlb @1,600 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.