Reloading

willy53

HI: Guy's, I have a new Remington 783 in 7mm Rem. Mag. 24" barrel, Leupold vari x 3-4.5x14 scope. I plan on reloading for Elk hunting. I would like any suggestions on Powder, bullets, primers. How to seat bullets, I have been know to have them touching the lanes. Any help would be appreciated.

HI: Guy's, I have a new Remington 783 in 7mm Rem. Mag. 24" barrel, Leupold vari x 3-4.5x14 scope. I plan on reloading for Elk hunting. I would like any suggestions on Powder, bullets, primers. How to seat bullets, I have been know to have them touching the lanes. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you got a good little setup! I personally don't have any experience with a 7mm Rem. Mag. and for that matter no "pet loads" but I will try and lead you in the right direction. I'm not sure what ranges you want to take elk at but some bullets to look into would be Sierra, Hornady, or Bergers in the 160-168gr weights. With a good load of IMR 4831 you should be around 2800-2900 FPS and have good accuracy with the mentioned bullets. I've always liked Remington 9 1/2 LR magnum primers because we've never had one pop and burn the bolt face and they give consistent accurate results. I have never messed with loading bullets into the lands so can't help you there, but other than that hope this information helps!

I love the 7mm rm
for hunting deer I use the nosler e tip 150 grn, cci mag primer, 67.0 grn of IMR7828 at 3.460inch OAL. full length sized.
for plinking and target shooting I neck size only (lee collet) and seat the bullet way out there so far out that they will not fit in the mag. I do this so that the bullet seats on the lands when chambered.
My target loads are
139 grn hornady sp 47.0 grn IMR3031 std primer
150 grn win sp 46.5 grn IMR3031 std primer
150 grn win sp 69.5 grn IMR7828 mag primer
152 grn norma rn 48.6 grn IMR3031 std primer
162 grn AMAX 64.2 grn IMR7828 mag primer
175 grn speer sp 58.5 grn RL22 mag primer
I have found that my rifle likes the bullet seated on the lands but, my buddys rifle preferes 20thou off, go figure.

You mean touching the LANDS....as in lands and grooves. Some go even more...forcing the bullet INTO the lands....while I myself go from touching to some tiny amout of jump.....not much...just a tiny amount

I load 71.7 grains of Retumbo, Winchester LR Magnum primer, with a 162 gr Amax .02 off the lands. I had a 24" Remington sporter barrel and was getting 2950 fps (just put a new Criterion on last week but haven't loaded for it yet). It was great to over 1k.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got a good little setup! I personally don't have any experience with a 7mm Rem. Mag. and for that matter no "pet loads" but I will try and lead you in the right direction. I'm not sure what ranges you want to take elk at but some bullets to look into would be Sierra, Hornady, or Bergers in the 160-168gr weights. With a good load of IMR 4831 you should be around 2800-2900 FPS and have good accuracy with the mentioned bullets. I've always liked Remington 9 1/2 LR magnum primers because we've never had one pop and burn the bolt face and they give consistent accurate results. I have never messed with loading bullets into the lands so can't help you there, but other than that hope this information helps!

Solid info right here. I find most accurate powder is IMR 4831. 63.4gr 140-160 Nos Ballistic tip 3026fps

I love the 7mm rm
for hunting deer I use the nosler e tip 150 grn, cci mag primer, 67.0 grn of IMR7828 at 3.460inch OAL. full length sized.
for plinking and target shooting I neck size only (lee collet) and seat the bullet way out there so far out that they will not fit in the mag. I do this so that the bullet seats on the lands when chambered.
My target loads are
139 grn hornady sp 47.0 grn IMR3031 std primer
150 grn win sp 46.5 grn IMR3031 std primer
150 grn win sp 69.5 grn IMR7828 mag primer
152 grn norma rn 48.6 grn IMR3031 std primer
162 grn AMAX 64.2 grn IMR7828 mag primer
175 grn speer sp 58.5 grn RL22 mag primer
I have found that my rifle likes the bullet seated on the lands but, my buddys rifle preferes 20thou off, go figure.

3031??? That's way too fast of a powder for a 7mm REM. Mag! That load is like a salt shaker, no where near a compressed load like you want for consistent accurate burning.

3031??? That's way too fast of a powder for a 7mm REM. Mag! That load is like a salt shaker, no where near a compressed load like you want for consistent accurate burning.
why??

I was using I4064 in my 7rem with 140 grain bullets... 56 grains...100 yard cloverleafs... tried 4895 at a few grains lower and it worked well too... 47gr. of 3031 isn't the best load but is a good economical load and should be sub moa with a lot less lower burned than 7828, etc.. It's give and take with lighter bullets in mag. calibers and sometimes powders that you think are to fast actually do rather well. If you haven't got enough load on the powder (lighter bullet/ big case), slower powders can't be expected to do well in extremely cold temps.. I'd think of something like rl17 or 4350 before I'd go as fast as 3031, but don't knock it until you've tried it.

Muzzle up/down is the only real issue here but these powders light so easily that that isn't even much trouble as long as you are over 1/2 full. Heck, I'm burning 34 rl7 in my 375h@h with a 280 cast; the case is just less than 1/2 full and I've had no issues; it's just over moa at 100 yards with a cast bullet.

If you notice, when he passed 150 grains, the powder speed went to what most would think should be burned in a magnum caliber.

why??

I was using I4064 in my 7rem with 140 grain bullets... 56 grains...100 yard cloverleafs... tried 4895 at a few grains lower and it worked well too... 47gr. of 3031 isn't the best load but is a good economical load and should be sub moa with a lot less lower burned than 7828, etc.. It's give and take with lighter bullets in mag. calibers and sometimes powders that you think are to fast actually do rather well. If you haven't got enough load on the powder (lighter bullet/ big case), slower powders can't be expected to do well in extremely cold temps.. I'd think of something like rl17 or 4350 before I'd go as fast as 3031, but don't knock it until you've tried it.

Muzzle up/down is the only real issue here but these powders light so easily that that isn't even much trouble as long as you are over 1/2 full. Heck, I'm burning 34 rl7 in my 375h@h with a 280 cast; the case is just less than 1/2 full and I've had no issues; it's just over moa at 100 yards with a cast bullet.

If you notice, when he passed 150 grains, the powder speed went to what most would think should be burned in a magnum caliber.
I don't like loads that only fill the case halfway. I like compressed accurate consistent burning powder charges. I also like to match my cartridge to the perfect powder, bullet, and charge.

I don't like loads that only fill the case halfway. I like compressed accurate consistent burning powder charges. I also like to match my cartridge to the perfect powder, bullet, and charge.
You and everyone else does this; the problem is at times one of cost- less powder = less cost (if you are broke you may need to stretch your dollars), and at times one of a slower powder not being uniform enough in colder temps.. Looking down your nose at someone because their choice is not yours doesn't get the question on why he chose that powder answered.

You and everyone else does this; the problem is at times one of cost- less powder = less cost (if you are broke you may need to stretch your dollars), and at times one of a slower powder not being uniform enough in colder temps.. Looking down your nose at someone because their choice is not yours doesn't get the question on why he chose that powder answered.

I wasn't looking down on anyone. I was just making an observation. I was trying to help him out to get better performance.

I wasn't looking down on anyone. I was just making an observation. I was trying to help him out to get better performance.

Sometimes max. speed and minimum sd isn't the performance looked for. Reloading isn't always about getting the max out of everything. Back when IMR wasn't peddled by hodgdon, they would show all of their rifle powders for every cartridge if it had any application. So 4227 loads in your '06 anyone? How about a reduced load for your 12 year old kid or a load at around 80% for your deer spot that you can't see past 200 paces. What if the reloading component price inflation has eaten a hole in your reloading budget and you don't have enough cash to buy enough components for your normal shooting anymore? Stop shooting? Or find a bit cheaper way to get loaded up...

168 Gr Nosler accubond Long Range- 62.5 Grains of relaoder 22 in Winchester brass.
shot a .212 3 shot at 100yds this weekend, rifle has a total of 56 rounds down the tube to date.
Cases are fire formed and neck sized, due to magazine length in the 783, you will not be close to the lands with this long bullet. I seated them as long as the magazine will allow.

Shoot strings with IMR 4350 withgreat results and reloader 25 with a little less acurracy. Data was chosen from the nosler #7 manual using 175 grain data, there is limited information for the 168 accubond in my searches. This load showed nos signs of pressure and may be able to be pushed faster if desired. No need for this particular rifle or the shooter, estimated velocity is just a touch over 3000fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.