Reloading to Mag Length?

YZ-80

Guys,

Just got a new RRA Predator in the dreaded Creedmore. I function tested it today and all went pretty well. I did have one out of 22 rounds where the gun did not go into full battery. Otherwise things functioned fine but I think I might be a little long. My Hornady OAL gauge won't work in this application and I tried the Sharpie routine and could not make heads or tails out of it. My rounds are at 2.768" and the published COL (Hornady 123 SST) is 2.710". Using just the bullet comparator, CBTO is 2.180". Anyway, look at these pictures and let me know if the bearing surface looks reasonable and the mag clearance (I measured it at between 5 and 6 100ths). I just don't want to be jamming things and causing problems down the road. I thought about seating them .030 deeper but wanted some opinions first. Thanks!

IMG_8324.jpeg
IMG_8325.jpeg
IMG_8320.jpeg

Guys,

Just got a new RRA Predator in the dreaded Creedmore. I function tested it today and all went pretty well. I did have one out of 22 rounds where the gun did not go into full battery. Otherwise things functioned fine but I think I might be a little long. My Hornady OAL gauge won't work in this application and I tried the Sharpie routine and could not make heads or tails out of it. My rounds are at 2.768" and the published COL (Hornady 123 SST) is 2.710". Using just the bullet comparator, CBTO is 2.180". Anyway, look at these pictures and let me know if the bearing surface looks reasonable and the mag clearance (I measured it at between 5 and 6 100ths). I just don't want to be jamming things and causing problems down the road. I thought about seating them .030 deeper but wanted some opinions first. Thanks!

View attachment 512391View attachment 512392View attachment 512393

Try the curved model.

IMG_0995.jpeg
IMG_0996.jpeg

My Hornady OAL gauge won't work in this application and I tried the Sharpie routine and could not make heads or tails out of it.
Is the AR10 too long for the gauge? my AR15 works with the straight Hornady OAL gauge. If its too long try removing the thumb screw and just be careful not to bump it taking it out, maybe put a piece of tape on it to hold it.

add: in my experience with AR15 if you fit the magazine its not likely your even close to jamming the lands but maybe you have a short throated chamber.

Last edited:
Is the AR10 too long for the gauge? my AR15 works with the straight Hornady OAL gauge. If its too long try removing the thumb screw and just be careful not to bump it taking it out, maybe put a piece of tape on it to hold it.

add: in my experience with AR15 if you fit the magazine its not likely your even close to jamming the lands but maybe you have a short throated chamber.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.