.308 Reloading & Barrel length

martytroy

I have an AR-10 with an 18" barrel, I'm new to reloading.
I'm looking at Powder Burn rate charts and my reloading manuals.

My question is; since an 18" barrel isn't the optimal length to achieve the most velocity and complete powder burn for .308, does anyone have any experience with 18" .308 barrels and reloading a powder of a faster burn rate, and recommended load data?

40 grains of vargot works well in my remington 750 carbine. its not too slow to allow the action to work and seems to burn clean. I'm not sure about the velosity bt it appears to shoot about the same as factory ammo

You are going to want to go with a faster burning powder. I use IMR4198 in my 20" Scout and 110gr. bullets.

Since you are using a semi-auto, you should look for powders that burn at a rate your action can handle. Too fast or too slow powders can be unsafe when it comes to cycling the action. For example, I can only use powders between 3031 and 4064 for my M1A as faster or slower powders won't allow the action to cycle or may cause unsafe conditions. Am guessing that your rifle also likes a particular range of powders.

Try a Google search for AR10 powders and loads.

Perhaps this will help you; SWAT Article BARREL LENGTH
In the short barrel .308 Win's it's really more about muzzle flash and weapon operation reliability. I like RL15 or.... IMR4895 the old M1A/M14 standby with bullet weights from 168gr to 175gr. You really don't want a slow burning powder, little fast would be the answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.