Reloading safety reminder

I find that interesting on the amount of primers can be store at private resident.7,000 primers. I have 8 different brands of primers just for my shotguns. That doesn't count pistol, and rifle primers, small, Large and Mag primers for my Rifles and pistols. I can see that some nun-nut does know much about reloading. With my P/W presses I load for 28,20, & 12 gauge presently. Here in a few months I am going to be an updated P/Warren Press to load from 410 thru 10 gauge. in 2-3/4 thru 3 1/2" shells.

I find that interesting on the amount of primers can be store at private resident.7,000 primers. I have 8 different brands of primers just for my shotguns. That doesn't count pistol, and rifle primers, small, Large and Mag primers for my Rifles and pistols. I can see that some nun-nut does know much about reloading. With my P/W presses I load for 28,20, & 12 gauge presently. Here in a few months I am going to be an updated P/Warren Press to load from 410 thru 10 gauge. in 2-3/4 thru 3 1/2" shells.
Mike, I read 10,000 may be stored in a private residence or on display in a store. Either way I guess I am over the limit for their recommendation.

Sorry I meant to ask if anyone on THIS forum had it happen to them.

But thank you for the information

Can't seem to dig up the other threads, but I know they are here. I've read about several members here blowing up their tray-style hand primers on this forum over the last 10-15 years. One member I've spoken with on the phone that no longer posts here for certain had it happen. I know because he told me about it when he ordered his CPS, which he saw here.

These incidents are scattered all over the internet. Google turns up dozens, and there are a lot more than we see pictures of. Ryan Hey I think had one blow up on him within the last few years.

I like that setup. If I may ask, where did you get your stands?
I wonder if keeping static free dryer sheets under them would help??
I work for a wholesale company that sales to convenience stores. These were display pieces for product no longer being sold and I was aloud to have them. Helps that my boss also reloads. :)

Good idea with the dryer sheets?👍

The OP said that the guy this happened to said he thought it may have been caused by static electricity. That makes me wonder if he was even trying to seat a primer when it went off. He may just reached up to adjust something with both hands when the detonation occurred. The fact that he limited it down to that cause leads me to believe he wasn't working the press at the time, because if he was in the middle of priming a case then a mechanical reason would be the likely cause.
OP reporting static electricity is the only thng that makes sense to me during station assembly, or return to station after process interruption. one of the earlier posts had a video showing the process. stack of primers should not be near case being primed. You can see each primer prior to moving the shell casing into position, and can verify the primer is anvil side up. I have had to ensure the primer holder is free from foreign material by inspecting seating after removing the casing from the press - it (usually brass from primer pocket sizing or non-swagged military brass) causes causes dents in the primer. this part of the reloading process definitely needs complete attention to detail. I like the idea of using anti-static spray. use of wooden reloading bench helps eliminate static. OP showed use of bench vise to hold priming station - earlier post of RCBS instructions recommends screwing the station to the bench. Use of electronic anti-static mat might also be a good idea.

Thankful a full recovery is expected.
I have loaded on the same RCBS unit for years without any issues. I would like to share something I did for the first time a few weeks ago that could've resulted in a similar accident. I had started priming a batch of brass when I realized the recipe called for Federal primers not the Winchester primers I had filled the tube with. So, how do I take the tube off the unit without spilling the primers all over the bench and floor? Easy…just reinsert the little cotter key / clip to hold the primers in place. This is easier said than done. One must keeping wiggling / working the clip to get it squeezed between the primers to get it positioned correctly. I finally was able to get the clip in place and the primers changed out. But I was definitely causing a lot of friction with the primers, tube, and clip. The potential for creating a spark and igniting primer dust with a full tube of primers was significant. Of course, I had one hand steadying the tube and the other forcing the clip into the tube between a couple primers. This was a stupid and dangerous action. How does the saying go…the Lord takes care of fools and …?
Duane
i use an allen wrench to push the primers up above the cotter pin location. after this post, I will probably locate a more suitable wooden flat tipped stick to use in the future.

I used a solid core door from 1975, and moved it once. Until 2021 when I cut up the door, because of going to move. It worked good over the years. I had to put a steel plate under the press to because for the pressure, when re-sizing case from one caliber to another. I will sure keep that in mind when set up my new bench. I see from reading of CapeEsp. I will have to go back and look into what was posted on static El. I will say one thing. This blog sure will lead you down some rabbit holes. Saying that in a good way!
I went back and looked up the amount of primer allowed. It's 10,000. NFPA 11-5-4. Still Non-nuts! I don't know much about Shotgun primers. So I use the primers that goes with that manufacture of that shell casing. So I could have 4 different shell casing
requiring four different primers just to start with. I can load for 6 or 7 different types cases. I generally have at lease a brick for each manufactures primers to match. Then loading for rifles and pistol require difference primers too. So 10,000 primers really doesn't come close either. I wasn't quick enough here a while back and order out 5000 lots of primers to have on hand. I would have been really over them. In Mexico-North (Cal) you are not to have over 20# of powder. 2-8# containers almost max's that out.

Last edited:
I have one of the primer tools like this man has, the design has one flaw …. There is no
"Over" tube on the primer magazine/tube.
On my Redding turret press I always screw on the over tube
I put a steel tube over primer tube. Acts like a shield. Used this setup for my on press priming. Been doing this for around 8 years now. Bought a new RCBS auto primer a few years ago and put the steel tube over the primer tube. Glad I did. Had the last 6 or 7 primers in a stack detonate similarly to this poor guy. The steel tube confined the explosion to out the top of the tube and out the bottom. Had eye protection on. The only damage was to the bench and my ears. They rang for months. I also have a grounding wire along my bench connected to my priming tool and it is connected to a grounding rod outside. Guys, take note. A piece of steel tubing cut to an inch or two longer that the primer tube may prevent another catastrophic injury. I will pray for the guy that got injured. Please take care.

Unfortunate events share the exact process as fortunate events do…a series of decisions are made that culminate in an outcome. There is no one thing that creates either. It is regrettably the last decision or event that folks focus attention on. Given the nature of the materials employed I accept that things can go wrong. I take precautions to minimize the risks I am aware of. These risks are made available and they are my (our) responsibility to understand, so I ask why do we obsessively look for a "singularity" that explains it all away? This discussion is generally valuable as a reminder to folks that the risks are as real as the rewards in this endeavor. However I fear this is going to profit two (mostly his lawyer) and cost the rest of us. It always does.
Are you suggesting a possible legal case against the manufacturer here? I don't think it would pass muster. We take complete responsibility in reloading, with perhaps a few exceptions in the case of product failure.

I put a steel tube over primer tube. Acts like a shield. Used this setup for my on press priming. Been doing this for around 8 years now. Bought a new RCBS auto primer a few years ago and put the steel tube over the primer tube. Glad I did. Had the last 6 or 7 primers in a stack detonate similarly to this poor guy. The steel tube confined the explosion to out the top of the tube and out the bottom. Had eye protection on. The only damage was to the bench and my ears. They rang for months. I also have a grounding wire along my bench connected to my priming tool and it is connected to a grounding rod outside. Guys, take note. A piece of steel tubing cut to an inch or two longer that the primer tube may prevent another catastrophic injury. I will pray for the guy that got injured. Please take care.
Thanks for the input! A question or 2? Thickness of tube, and type of tube, going over the primer tube. the I.D. isn't a problem. I have used a RCBS priming tool from about when they came out. I never had a problem except getting the primers upside down. I am changing to a high end priming tool.

I use that priming tool, however I don't let the tube 'slap' and prime. I use my left hand and gently move the tube over the cup and load a primer, lay it back then I prime a case.

Oh and I always, and I mean ALWAYS wear these when I'm priming.

DTPdXc1.jpg