reloading presses and accuracy

jmbn

Here's a question. I have an old Eagle press that I bought in the mid-60's that has served me well. I've noticed lately that there is noticable play in the shaft, and wondered if this is having an effect on accuracy of reloads. (none of my rifles shoot quite as well as they used to, and I've always looked at this as a result of old eyes).

When rotating loaded cartriges in V-blocks there is no visual wobble, and it seems to me that since the shell holders are free, within limits, to rock around on their bases, that a little play in the shaft wouldn't matter.

Any comments?

jmbn

Savage99

If I had to pick a factor in accuracy between aiming and a loading press then it would be aiming.

Go to www.sierrabullets.com and find the notes on squaring up your loading dies. This may not help of course if the ram is not consistant.

I use a RCBS A2 and I have no idea if the ammo loaded on another press would be better or not but I square up the dies that matter.

A smith said he tested all of the popular presses about 15 years ago and Redding had the best alignment in that test.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce