Light Rifles and Accuracy

General RE LEE

My 30-06 Tikka Superlite is kinda finicky to shoot compared to my 7mm STW Sendero which is a tack driver. My Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor is also spooky accurate.

Anyone have a lightweight rifle with moderate recoil that is challenging to shoot accurately? I'm not flinching I just feel like the rifle is "jumpy".

We set up a few 28noslers last summer with 195s they were 8-8.5 lbs with a nx8 on top. Shooting prone off concrete at 100 yards we got them to shoot in the .1s and 2s but in field positions shooting cold bore shots on steel out to 1200 yards it was a-lot different compared to using the 12lb 28noslers. I wouldn't call it finicky. It just puts a lot more on the shooter as far as form, technique, and consistency. I tried some light weight rifles for hunting a few years back but now I'm going back to a little heavier rifle. Of course it depends the cartridge, how far your planning to shoot, and how far and what terrain you'll be hiking over. Shoot 5 shots with a 18lb 6br while laying over a fallen tree onto a 7" plate at 500 yards and the rifle shoots itself almost. Shoot an 8lb 300 Rum with 230s in the same situation and see how much more focus and attention to detail it takes with the RUM. Also lighter rifles shooting heavy bullets with fast twist will torque over more as well.

My 30-06 Tikka Superlite is kinda finicky to shoot compared to my 7mm STW Sendero which is a tack driver. My Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor is also spooky accurate.

Anyone have a lightweight rifle with moderate recoil that is challenging to shoot accurately? I'm not flinching I just feel like the rifle is "jumpy".
Yes, all 3 of my Win Model 70 EW rifles, 264WM/270 Bee, 300WM and 338WM all bounce quite dramatically off a bi-pod which affects precision, but if I shoot off my pack, there is no issue.
My Kimber's also do this, my Talkeetna off the bench using a bi-pod is a dentist appointment machine. It rattles my teeth something shocking. Love the rifle, just not off the bench. The 375 Bee is a lot worse and that rifle is 12lbs.

Cheers.

Recent Posts