reloading max load 308 lc brass

Hunter195287

I have found with my Ar-10 unlike most of my other rifles prefers a hot load best load using 168gr Sierra MatchKing loaded with 45gr. Varget or 48gr. 2520 in federal match brass. But I recently acquired a bunch of 308 of lake city brass knowing mil brass holds less water than commercial because of thickness what would be considered a max load for lc brass

You will need to back off at least 3 grs from your load and work back up. It has been my experience with LC cases that you will use 1 to 2 grs less powder to get the same velocity. You will probably have to tinker with the load some to get the same accuracy as you do with the Federal cases. It is like with any other thing in reloading. If you change ANYTHING in a load you need to back off and work back up.

45 grains of Varget is about the standard for 155's in the .308.

For 168's over Varget, max is about 43 or even 42 grains with military cases.

You may get better accuracy with 44 grains of IMR4064 which was a favorite with semiauto riflles when the .308 was virtually the only cartridge used in them in competition

I won't say with Varget because the lot I have is slower than the lot of 4064 I have, by a lot. I have found that with LC match brass and a 168smk, 45 grns of 4064 flattens primers in 2 different savages but in 2 other rem700s it goes to 45.5grns before they flaten. I use 44.5 in the Savages and 45 in the remingtons, fast and very accurate. 41-42 would be a good starting point with a normal lot of Varget or about 42-43 with 4064.

168 amax over varget in LC 08 cases full length resized powder just starting to compress at 45gr with OAL at 2.80" netted 2630fps in my 20" AAC-SD this past weekend. Started at 41gr at 2391fps and worked up in .4gr increments. No pressure signs but a Remington is pretty open so it takes a lot to build pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.