Reloading - Is it still really worth it?

All Fall I heard people grousing about finding ammo, 243, 45-70, 257 Roberts, 7mm REM, & others. I don't have those issues here. Just for that, it's worth it to me.

First of all I am not trying induce depression or deter people from starting to jump into the world of hand loading. I just am trying or shed some light on the real costs of this wonderful hobby I finally picked up a couple of years ago. For the competition shooter or the individual looking for consistent top notch accuracy out of their rifle, it will always make sense regardless of the costs. However, with the current cost of components, it is shocking to add up the cost of a hand loaded cartridge.
I just ran a quick component estimate for a round of 7RM using the cost of recent component purchases. I am approaching $3.00 per round in raw materials without factoring in the equipment/tool expense or time commitment. I realize that the cost of premium factory ammo is often times more expensive, but the wow factor of current reloading cost has me looking at the amount of times I visit the range and how many rounds of what rifle I will be firing.
In the end it reinforces the buy cheap and stack deep approach to reloading. Panic buying due to the FOMO syndrome is not a smart move.
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.
Maybe you should get something a little more economically something that doesn't use 80 grains of powder and have bullets that cost a dollar a piece I know primers are expensive but where I am I can still get a pound of powder for $27 I'm not telling you where though

Check the latest prices for .375 H&H Norma Woodleighs and SAFs, or Federal Premium Safari Woodleighs and SAFs.

Reloading? Easy button...

First of all I am not trying induce depression or deter people from starting to jump into the world of hand loading. I just am trying or shed some light on the real costs of this wonderful hobby I finally picked up a couple of years ago. For the competition shooter or the individual looking for consistent top notch accuracy out of their rifle, it will always make sense regardless of the costs. However, with the current cost of components, it is shocking to add up the cost of a hand loaded cartridge.
I just ran a quick component estimate for a round of 7RM using the cost of recent component purchases. I am approaching $3.00 per round in raw materials without factoring in the equipment/tool expense or time commitment. I realize that the cost of premium factory ammo is often times more expensive, but the wow factor of current reloading cost has me looking at the amount of times I visit the range and how many rounds of what rifle I will be firing.
In the end it reinforces the buy cheap and stack deep approach to reloading. Panic buying due to the FOMO syndrome is not a smart move.
I guess its all relative, I have a few Weatherby's in the larger calibers and they run about $89-$135 per box depending on the caliber let alone the scarcity of the ammunition. Therefore hand loading is perfect for me, in addition working loads so the rifles shoot under .50 MOA is gratifying. I do have a few rifles in 30/06 and 270 Winchester with hand loads shoot .42 MOA or less and frankly its less expensive to purchase factory ammunition. Agree given the cost of components it is expensive to say the least.

I see primers now at $0.075 to $0.09 per primer
9 cents…..
if you get 5 loads out of $1.00 brass thats $0.20 cents each
30 cal projectiles are $0.36 cents each
powder…..?
you will never be able to purchase 1/3" factory ammo

It's hard to come out ahead of you're not shooting for distance or shooting lots of rounds.
I bought a dilon 1050 with bullet feeder and it paid for its self the first time i loaded ammo for praire dog hunting if you compared the type of bullet i was loading to factory retail ammo with the same bullet.

Ok I'm a bit different because I've been preparing for this drought since the 70's but these prices are the best most accurate I can come up with.
One year ago I paid the most I've ever paid for primes. Scheels had them for $43 per k.
Last month I bought RL 25 (the powder I use for my 338 L. For$33 per lb.
The bullets I use at Midway is listed at $55 per hundred thought not available.

I won't count brass because I stockpiled before the drought and with care I have enough to last the rest of my life.

Add this up I can reload 338 L for $1.40 per round.

Just checked Midway for the cheapest Loaded 338L that comes closest to my chosen round. Hornady at $9.05 per round. But it's unavailable.

Everyone is different of course so this is just my example. And it's just one round. I can't count have many different types I load for. And I won't even toss in pistol ammo when you start out with tons of brass and use cast bullets.

I shoot a lot. I couldn't if I didn't reload.

I've heard/read arguments for both sides: "Commercial ammo quality now equals or exceeds reloads, reloads save money, cost of reloading equipment, availability of my preferred loads", etc. All are good, even valid points! I think today it just boils down to personal preference. (I think you maybe felt this way too when you submitted your original question : ) Many prefer the convenience of just buying what they need. For many reloading is a pleasure, a science, a sideline, a hobby or even a therapy.....and that's great. It's all a right & a privilege, (at least so far......) Whether you buy or reload - more power to you. If you're a shooter & a supporter of our 2nd Amendment - MORE POWER TO US ALL! 👍
"That's all I'll say about that."

FOMO…….?? 🤔🤔🤷🏼‍♂️