Reloading for a 7mm STW

Hogdaddy72

I am looking for a accurate load for my STW. I have tried several combinations of bullets and powders all to no luck of a consistent group. If I get a combination that tries to shoot it typically shoots 2 shots touching only to stray the 3rd shot off to the left or right. I need help with this as I am at a loss and discouraged with my choice of build.

What have you tried for loads so far??? What is your bedding condition, bbl. twist rate, etc. on your rifle? What are you shooting from; bench, bipod and tailgate, etc.?? The more info the better.

I typically run a 140 or 150 nosler tipped with rl25 and a 215 lighting it. I've got to slow of a twist (10") to use heavier than 150-160 grain bullets.

I've tried loading with the 140gr. , 150gr. NBT 160gr. Accubond 168gr. And 180gr. Berger VLD. With each bullet I tried the RL 22 and 25, IMR 7828, H1000 and Retumbo. The twist rate is 9.5 in a 26" krieger barrel with a McMillan stock. All built on a Remington 700 action. All the shooting is being done from a concrete bench off sandbags.

The 150 ablr will stabilize in a 10" twist ( as I have), but I hunted with 140ab's this year as the load had proven itself better in varying conditions.

Have you tried something like a 140 sierra pro hunter or 175 hornady interlock in the rifle? I've seen some barrels like flat base bullets or be very finicky to brand. Something like a 175 hornady interlock or sierra and a mid 80 grain charge (85-86. work up of course) of 50bmg or rl50 should be plenty different than what you have worked with. A 140 sierra pro hunter and rl22-rl25 will shoot in any stw I've worked with.

I have had 2 STWs, one was a factory Sendero and the other was a custom, both shot great with 140 ABs and a stout dose H1000. I've found my STWs to be a little more finicky than most about seating depth. I'm loading my Accubonds .005 off the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.