Reloading 7mm mag

Im going to start reloading for my first time and would like some input from experence reloaders, I shoot a Ruger no.1 single shot 7mm mag. I would like some input on what poweders and bullets to try first. My gun likes Hornady factory loads,139 gr. So im going to stay with 139gr. bullet. I hunt whitetail in Texas with this gun. I would appreciate your input

Im going to start reloading for my first time and would like some input from experence reloaders, I shoot a Ruger no.1 single shot 7mm mag. I would like some input on what poweders and bullets to try first. My gun likes Hornady factory loads,139 gr. So im going to stay with 139gr. bullet. I hunt whitetail in Texas with this gun. I would appreciate your input

I would start with H-1000, H4831sc, R-22 or possibly R-25. The 139g SST is a hammer on deer. Reliable data is available online at www.imrpowder.com Or Alliant Powder - Home
Enjoy, YMMV

I have found that the H1000, which is a good consistent powder, is often more benefit with a bit heavier bullets (162, 175). Of course this is not always the case. If that powder does not work out for you with the 139's, go to the H4831 sc.

By the way, Hornady bullets help to produce great easy accurate loads. I reloaded some 162 for a hunting camp partner's 7mm RM last year. One shot DRT Muley.

Thanks, Im new to this site and the info has been realy helpful, I think I can learn to reload better by the info gettin from you'all than just jumping off in it by myself, look forward to learning more from you guys & girls, :) thanks again
ETH

the h1000 is a great powder for the 7mmrm also imr7827. Both of these powders work well with all of the wieghts in this cal.
Up your bullet wieght to 150 and see how you like that. I use both 139 gr hornady's as well as 150 grn sp's.
For hunting though I stick with the 150 gr etip from Nosler.
The ruger #1 has to be my all time favorite! With that rifle I only neck sise and seat my bullets way out so that they contact the rifleing when chambered and I never crimp for the #1.
Take your time with your loading weigh each load indavidually and you will amaze yourself at the long range accuracy that your rifle will give.
And a sidde note with h1000 and imr 7828 As with all of the "magnum" powders a magnum primer is best to ensure propper ignition of your powder.

Thanks, I have been looking at Win. large rifle and CCI 250 Primers which do you recomend with the H1000? I've shot BAR 30-06 all my life and got the #1 about 8 yrs ago and I have not hunted with that auto since,love the single shot, I have not needed but 1 shot anway, it shoots great with Hornady factory loads, but I want to start loading for all my firearms, We might have to load the way things are going these days.

In my 26 inch 700 p,H1000, ( 67.5 grains) works well with 168 VLD. In the 24 in 700 LSS, it loves 65.5- RL19,or 67.0-h 4831 ssc, and 140 TSX. The one thing I want to add is that I have extremely good luck with Winchester WLR standard primers. The ES and SD are much lower, and accuracy is awesome. You really do not need a mag primer in a 7 mag. Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys all the info helps, Im still taking in all the info before I purchase any powder,primers or bullets, learning a lot and have not even set up yeat, just taking notes...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts