Reloading .223 for AR-15

Tater1985

This summer I would like to start reloading for my AR-15. This is not a special varmint build or precision shooting platform, just a basic 16" barrel AR with a good enough scope to shoot some critters with. Accuracy is not amazing, from the limited amount I have shot it I would say somewhere around 1.25 MOA average. There are many things that are limiting the accuracy of this build, primarily:

ME
trigger (standard mil-spec)
ammo (steel case plinking and Hornady 55gr soft nose)
and probably the 16" barrel

So, one of my proposed steps to milk a bit more accuracy out of this build is to experiment with some handloads. I wont have quite the free reign as a bolt gun, since I still want the handloads to load into mil-spec mags (limited to 2.275" I believe). So, I am looking for 2 pieces of advise.

1. Anyone with a good recipe for .223 in an AR with 55gr bullet weights

2. Recommended reloading equipment.

I have been doing some limited research the past few days, and through my reading I have been considering the 55gr Sierra SBT GK for projectile, and IMR 8208 XBR for propellant (said to have very little sensitivity to temps, perfect!) As far as the reloading equipment, my brother in-law has a full setup of RCBS reloading goodies, so basically the only thing I think I need is a good set of dies. This is where my knowledge is very limited. I'm not sure if I need special types of dies when reloading for an AR? I have ready about cases having concentricity issues and not feeding properly, as well as needing to crimp for auto loaders . . . . . . . started getting a little lost.

Oh, almost forgot, I was thinking CCI #41 small rifle primers as well. Any suggestions on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I reload 223 for several ARs using Hornady dies. They are not what I typically use for precision rifles, but seem to work fine for the AR. You can also get "small base dies" from some companies that are good for semi's because they size farther down the case (and maybe size slightly more as well). The thought is this provides more room for error in feeding.

As far as accuracy, 1.25 out of a no frills AR is not bad as is.

A few questions for you:

What is the key purpose of your reloads (hunting, plinking, volume)?

Are you married to 55gr projectiles?

I reload 223 for several ARs using Hornady dies. They are not what I typically use for precision rifles, but seem to work fine for the AR. You can also get "small base dies" from some companies that are good for semi's because they size farther down the case (and maybe size slightly more as well). The thought is this provides more room for error in feeding.

As far as accuracy, 1.25 out of a no frills AR is not bad as is.

A few questions for you:

What is the key purpose of your reloads (hunting, plinking, volume)?

Are you married to 55gr projectiles?

I thought that I had read somewhere that FL resizing dies should be used when reloading for an AR? The key purpose will be hunting and plinking/practice. I like to practice with what I will be shooting critters with just to become familiar with the performance of the load. That being said, I will go to my junk steel case stockpile if I just want to go out and shoot 100+ rounds. The main reason for sticking to a 55gr - ish projectile is to keep the weight similar to all my junk ammo. The thought was that if I did this trajectory would be similar, but in all reality, this is probably not true, since charge and BC are going to be different than all my cheap ammo, it will probably be different anyhow.

Also, the rifle that I will hopefully be shooting it out of by the end of the year will have a 20" barrel and much better components.

As to bbl length in an ar, my 20" dpms is less than 100 fps faster than my dad's 16", often half that. The 16" bbl will also act slightly stiffer than a 20" at the same diameter, so your accuracy potential is actually higher.

I'd ditch the 55's and go to a 75 with one of the 4895 powders or Tac. That'll give you a lot more on the receiving end too as the bc's are better with the 75's. Your trajectory will be similar to better.

As to dies, fl dies will work with most ar's, but small base dies are probably a better way to go as they will size the case down to factory new dimensions if properly set up. Ar's don't have a heck of a lot of camming ability for oversized ammo, so getting the stuff small enough to chamber easily is important. I use a fl die with my dpms and it does well, but I don't let my pipe get very dirty either.
I'd think about the cci mill-spec primer in your ar also.

As to bbl length in an ar, my 20" dpms is less than 100 fps faster than my dad's 16", often half that. The 16" bbl will also act slightly stiffer than a 20" at the same diameter, so your accuracy potential is actually higher.

That's crazy that there isn't a greater difference in velocity between those 2 rifles. I'm kind of confused by that. I shot some Hornady ammo through my chrono, and it was suppose to be about 3200 fps, and I was not even averaging 2800fps from my 16".

That's crazy that there isn't a greater difference in velocity between those 2 rifles. I'm kind of confused by that. I shot some Hornady ammo through my chrono, and it was suppose to be about 3200 fps, and I was not even averaging 2800fps from my 16".

I was told once as a rule of thumb that you lose 30fps per inch of barrel. So the 100fps as stated previously is pretty close. I never heard about the shorter barrel being stiffer idea, but it makes sense.

As far as reloads,
I use the Lee 3 die set with factory crimp. Not an expensive set but it works.

I use a recipe for Hornady 55gr FMJ and BTSP with IMR 4895 with good results. I'd have to go look it up to see the exact accuracy, but I have been happy with it since it is a plinking and close range coyote gun. I don't know the speed yet, since I just got a chrono and haven't had a chance to go out yet.
I have only used 4895 and Varget, since I can't find any of the other popular .223 powders.
As far a bullets, accuracy dropped when I tried weights below 55gr.

I thought that I had read somewhere that FL resizing dies should be used when reloading for an AR? The key purpose will be hunting and plinking/practice.

Sorry, my bad. I took for granted that you were looking at FL dies. Amything that is an auto loader needs FL sizing at a minimum. Lefty7mmstw lays it out out perfectly above - the case needs to be sized down enough so that the bolt can strip and seat it in the chamber reliably.

As far as bullets, I also agree to look at something heavier than 55. I have an AR (similar to you, not fancy) that really likes 60gr VMAX for accuracy. Some other fast-twist guns love the 75's. I think that bullet weights and designs can really effect accuracy in AR's, and it is fairly simple to try a few flavors to see what it likes.

I won't shoot critters past about 250 with mine, so the BC is moot - I just want something that shoots well and comes apart good when it hits. As far as different POI vs my plinking ammo, I just write down the difference and adjust my optics from one to another. Pretty simple in the scheme of things.

Brandon

Alright, so in talking about slightly heavier bullets, you guys have me looking more towards the 65gr Sierra SBT GK's.

think of the powders you are using in an AR; they aren't terribly slow burning and are probably pretty well burned by the time you hit 14-16". You will get higher vel's on average with the longer bbl., but individual loads may actually be slightly faster in the shorter bbl.. It all depends on how each bbl. responds to the load.

What is your twist rate of your barrel?

69 gr bullets are a good compromise for a middle range bullet (by weight)

I shoot a 1:8 RRA competition rifle. the 2 stage trigger is great, but I upgraded to a higher grade trigger

I shoot the 77 gr sierra match kings out to 600 yards. 24gr of RL15. Throws them into the black over and over.

ditch the steel case stuff

Lots of favorite loads here but I have a good one for you.

55 grain flat base bullet seated out to SAAMI max cartridge length.
Any case.
23.5 grains of H322.
Any standard small rifle primer.

I have shot this load in five different AR/M16 platforms with barrels from 11.5" to 20" and it delivers 50 consecutive shots into an inch @ 100 yds. The flat base bullets are inherently more accurate than boat tails because they are easier to make consistent and the gas release at the muzzle is concentric. Benchrest Shooters use flat base bullets almost exclusively and that is good enough for me. I have shot this load to 500 meters with iron sights and it is as good at that range as any other except for wind drift.
The 55 grainers are cheaper and for fun you don't need anything more. In 223/556 accuracy over 50+ rounds is way more important than 3 shot groups.
Midway just had a sale on Barnes 55 gr FBHP Varmint bullets for $57/500. You can't beat that with a stick! H322 has won more Benchrest Matches than all other powders combined. There is a reason H322 did that, it flat out delivers.

KB

Thanks for the load data Kennibear. I may have to try that. Does H322 do well with 60gr bullets too? I have heard great things about 60gr vmax.

H322 is not for anything heavier than 55 grains. When the original Surplus H322 was sold by Hodgdon's rumor was it was a DuPont/IMR bulk powder they bought from the original loading Eugene Stoner designed just for the 223. Since all Military small arms ammo was supposed to use Ball Powder TM they had to quit loading the DuPont. So Bruce H. was their dump site. It is faster than IMR 3031 but the short fat grains meter very well. Lights off with any primer and even the old Surplus stuff I have left still burns clean and consistent.

Don't over look the great 55 gr FBHP bullets out there. Every maker knows they have to be made accurate as the 22/250 and up Varmint Shooters expect excellent accuracy at extended ranges. Varminters frequently shoot upward of 200+ rounds in one outing and the bullets have to perform. Most 55 gr FBHP's are dead nuts accurate.

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.