Reloader 26 in 6.5 creedmoor

Another reason I'm trying the super Creed concept. Alot of guns run out of capacity before they pressure out. With about 3 more grains of capacity it might be right at optimum with rl26.
Shep

Better wait till I shoot it some. Might end up calling it creedflop. It's a brand new Tikka with 24 inch barrel for the donor. So to really see what it will do is going to take 125 shots or so. But I should have an idea right away if it's going to work. Hope to be shooting it any day this week. Weather permitting. Brass is ready.
Shep

Better wait till I shoot it some. Might end up calling it creedflop. It's a brand new Tikka with 24 inch barrel for the donor. So to really see what it will do is going to take 125 shots or so. But I should have an idea right away if it's going to work. Hope to be shooting it any day this week. Weather permitting. Brass is ready.
Shep
Do you have an actual dimension on the Tikka freebore? It has to be close to 300? It's freaking long.

I see what you are saying and it makes sense. After you do the "Super Creed" mod I assume you can no longer shoot factory Creedmoor ammo, is that correct?
I also see the velocities that you get with the 147ELDM in a 29" and again that seems reasonable. I have to wonder about some reports of velocities that I see with 24-26" barrels that seem quite high, many times within 100fps or less than 6.5 PRC. I do wonder if this round (Creed) is loaded by many at too high pressures much like many in the past did with AI rounds? Or to put it another way, either the 6.5PRC is not being loaded at the same pressures or if the spread is only 100fps difference between the 2, then I see no need in the PRC.
I have a 26" creed and a 24" saum and I really can't find any reason to favor the saum. Using the 140 berger hybrid I get 20-30fps more with my saum using 50% more powder (60gr H1000 vs 42gr RL-17) the creedmoor launches the 140 berger using that charge @2998 fps and the saum gets 3020.
For the 147 I need to back my saum load to 58gr of H-1000 to avoid ejector marks and get 2920fps compared to the 2820 that my creedmoor achieves with the same 42 gr of RL-17

I have a 26" creed and a 24" saum and I really can't find any reason to favor the saum. Using the 140 berger hybrid I get 20-30fps more with my saum using 50% more powder (60gr H1000 vs 42gr RL-17) the creedmoor launches the 140 berger using that charge @2998 fps and the saum gets 3020.
For the 147 I need to back my saum load to 58gr of H-1000 to avoid ejector marks and get 2920fps compared to the 2820 that my creedmoor achieves with the same 42 gr of RL-17
Ok now wait a minute. I have seen my fair share of 6.5 SAUM with 140 grain bullets achieve 3200-3400 FPS wit 26" - 28" barrels. I do believe the 6.5 CM is a nice rifle/caliber but I will never believe the CM will ever get SAUM, 264 WM, , or 6.5 x 284 velocities.

That does seem alittle slow for a saum. 42 grains of rl-17 pushing a 140 to 2998 seems pretty quick for rl-17 of that charge in the creed. What brass are you putting that in? In hornady brass 42 grains of rl-17 got me to 2885 with a 140 eld.

I've only seen rl26 get a Creed to 3000 with 140s. And I run my 6.5saum at 3150 with 147eldms using rl26. It will go 3200 but shoots in the 1s at 3150. I run my creeds at 2900 with 147s in my 24 inch. My 28 inch Creed gets 2975 with 147s. Both with rl26.
Shep

Is your SAUM a proof barrel? And what brass are you using? Something is wrong with your SAUM. And your creed is running on the hot side with rl17. With rl26 you would be right at the top node pushing a 140 to 3000.

Your SAUM should be close to my dad's 26" .264 wm I pieced together for him and load for. 147's at 3240, 156's at 3175. Both of those loads are over 50 fps from any pressure signs, using Retumbo and ADG brass.

My saum can't can't get anywhere near those speeds with retumbo and adg brass. I get 3050 with 147s and I'm throated long with a 26 inch barrel. I expect to get a little more when it speeds up at 100 rounds or so.
Shep

My saum can't can't get anywhere near those speeds with retumbo and adg brass. I get 3050 with 147s and I'm throated long with a 26 inch barrel. I expect to get a little more when it speeds up at 100 rounds or so.
Shep
These 156's are hbn coated, I'm using around 68 grains, H1000 is usually around a grain or two behind retumbo, so there is some capacity difference there too I believe. I would think you should get more speed, rl26 will get that velocity out of a 6.5x284. H1000 puts it down in the upper 2900's

Is your SAUM a proof barrel? And what brass are you using? Something is wrong with your SAUM. And your creed is running on the hot side with rl17. With rl26 you would be right at the top node pushing a 140 to 3000.

Your SAUM should be close to my dad's 26" .264 wm I pieced together for him and load for. 147's at 3240, 156's at 3175. Both of those loads are over 50 fps from any pressure signs, using Retumbo and ADG brass.
Yep. My saum is a 1:8 proof sendero lite. I'm using Hornady brass on both but the saum shows heavy pressure signs with kind of mild loads.
Why is it relevant if my saum uses a proof barrel?? Is something wrong with them??

Yep. My saum is a 1:8 proof sendero lite. I'm using Hornady brass on both but the saum shows heavy pressure signs with kind of mild loads.
Why is it relevant if my saum uses a proof barrel?? Is something wrong with them??
Yup. There have been a ton of them, enough that I was able to guess that was likely your issue, that have been having tight spots in the bores creating early pressure signs and low velocities. They are still capable of shooting bug holes it seems, they just do it very slow. I have heard of several smiths that have stopped using them because of it, at least until they get it figured out. It's unfortunate, because as I said they still seem to have good accuracy.

Yup. There have been a ton of them, enough that I was able to guess that was likely your issue, that have been having tight spots in the bores creating early pressure signs and low velocities. They are still capable of shooting bug holes it seems, they just do it very slow. I have heard of several smiths that have stopped using them because of it, at least until they get it figured out. It's unfortunate, because as I said they still seem to have good accuracy.
I was pretty bummed to hear about it, because I was about to pull the trigger on one for my wife's build. But I have been hearing many, many reports like yours of people maxing out well below, 100fps+ where they should be, all using proofs, and a couple guys had their bores slugged and reported the issue. Ended up going with a Krieger with aggressive fluting instead.