Relaoding dies for ar 15

bulldurham

I reload for about everything except AR 15 my son has just started hunting coyotes and wants to use my spr mk12 I have not loaded for it . I have regular rcbs 223 dies that I load for my dads varmint . so now big ? Which dies should I get for 556 and I will be using the same brass for other ars these will be mixed brass . want your guys advice and answers . because of the great experts here on this site

I've read and have asked ?s friends tell me to get lee dies with crimp die . the 1000 rounds my friend helped me load was with lee . with progressive press . mine will be with single load press . thanks

Your regular RCBS .223 Remington dies will work fine. I suggest either a Redding taper crimp die, or Lee factory crimp die. I've never used a small base die, and haven't had a single problem with oversized brass in any of my multitude of ARs. If your AR has a really tight, match 223 Rem chamber, your results may not match mine.

I use Dillon carbide dies on a 750XL, works fine. I've never been in a place where a small base die was a NEED with this case, but I have a set for when it happens eventually. No harm in them though if you just want to be sure of chambering.

I don't crimp most 223/5.56 reloads, haven't had a set back issue yet.

I would venture to say that, today, more .223/5.56 is loaded on a Dillon, than all others combined. I have loaded and fired 10's of thousands for myself and friends and family. I use the Dillon Carbide die in a Dillon 550. You still have to lube, but given the volume that it has to endure it makes sense. I use Hornady One-Shot, throw 100 in a shoe box, spray, shake, let sit a min, and go, SUPER easy! I have never had one fail to chamber due to dirty chambers or under re-sized bases. I only bother to crimp my 55 or 62gr bullets with cannelure, or which is 95% of what most plink with, neck tension is enough for those without.

Now with all that said. If you think you or someone you load for, may have to use it for defense. Only load bullets with soft tip and cannelure and put just enough crimp to measure .002" at the case mouth with calipers.

RCBS small base dies. Auto loader firearms need some extra sizing at the base to function well.
This!
I've read and have asked ?s friends tell me to get lee dies with crimp die . the 1000 rounds my friend helped me load was with lee . with progressive press . mine will be with single load press . thanks
LCDs are ~$15, not a bad investment. I have a couple and have yet to use them.

I don't use small base dies. Regular dies are supposed to resize cases back to original factory diameter. Maybe a fluctuation in the sizing die and/or in the rifle chamber might cause you to have to go to small base. I have reloaded for several different AR's and didn't require small base in any of them. You might be unlucky enough to get "the one" that needs it. As stated earlier, .223 or 5.56 doesn't matter in reloading dies. I have never crimped, it can cause too many problems in bottle neck cartridges if all of the cases are not the same length. Which brings up, don't forget to trim the cases for overall length. Cases that are too long will increase pressures and cause chambering problems.
Carbide dies are handy if doing a lot of cases at one time, but I think you still have to lube them prior to resizing. Not worth the extra cost to me, but it might be worth it for you. Good Luck!!

I would venture to say that, today, more .223/5.56 is loaded on a Dillon, than all others combined. I have loaded and fired 10's of thousands for myself and friends and family. I use the Dillon Carbide die in a Dillon 550. You still have to lube, but given the volume that it has to endure it makes sense. I use Hornady One-Shot, throw 100 in a shoe box, spray, shake, let sit a min, and go, SUPER easy! I have never had one fail to chamber due to dirty chambers or under re-sized bases. I only bother to crimp my 55 or 62gr bullets with cannelure, or which is 95% of what most plink with, neck tension is enough for those without.

Now with all that said. If you think you or someone you load for, may have to use it for defense. Only load bullets with soft tip and cannelure and put just enough crimp to measure .002" at the case mouth with calipers.

I reload for about everything except AR 15 my son has just started hunting coyotes and wants to use my spr mk12 I have not loaded for it . I have regular rcbs 223 dies that I load for my dads varmint . so now big ? Which dies should I get for 556 and I will be using the same brass for other ars these will be mixed brass . want your guys advice and answers . because of the great experts here on this site
I've used Hornady .223 dies for years. I only crimp the 55's ball. I.progressed to Redding 3 dies competition set with FL bushing die using .244 bushing, Lake City brass. I shoot NRA high power across the course matches. Don't neck size as the brass won't extract/eject. Heavy bullets use Varget.
60gr and lighter I use H-335. For primers CCI small rifle magnums or #41's. Federal and Lapua brass is a bit heavy, Lake City and Winchester lighter. Pressure will vary between same loads due to brass weight. HTH.

Last edited: