Regarding long range shooting and changing NORMS!!!

bdyal1972

I wonder, does this logic apply to sniping the enemy? There's a whole lotta confirmed kills over 2km.

Where and how I grew up with the family 06 and a bdc bushnell BEING HI SPEED LOW DRAG!

PAPA SHOT HIS 06 ON 9POWER AT RAVENS GUESSING THE RANGE....

500 AND 600 YARD SHOTS WERE MADE IN 2S AND 3S....

RESTED PRONE OR OVER STUMP..... OR LIKE MY DAD DID ON HIS #4 OREGON BLACKTAIL.... HE HAD BIGBOY ON TOP OF THE STUMP, HIS LEFT ARM THROUGH THE ROTTEN CEDAR STUMP.... to say the 06 was anchored and rested is an understatement!!! Dad WAITED FOR THE FOG TO COME IN AND OUT 3X BEFORE HE COULD TAKE THE SHOT...

FIRST SHOT, REACQUIRE TARGET, FIRE A SECOND EVERY TIME......

THIRD SHOT IF NECESSARY...

AT BASIC I WAS hammering 600 meter b27 targets 9 out of 10 times....

That quick 600 yards became easy with peep sights...

3 years, 3 m16s and 30,000? Multiple deployments later, rounds later....

Prismatic rangefinder, New 338 win mag on second barrel, 5000+ rounds of 338 down the first tube, leupold vain 3 3.5-10×50....

Over 100 Coyotes in 3 eastern Washington counties knew this rifle.... at least for a moment!!!!

I regularly busted rocks, coyotes, rock chucks and vermin out to 1000 yards...

When we shot as a family I always shot last!

Wanted to impress dad and papa...

Took a friend from work in Washington hunting n Eastern Oregon...

Went to a favorite "doe bowl" (we took 6 mulies and 5 whitetail does out of this bowl opening night one year, 20 shooters, 3 generation, most shooting and death i EVER SAW outside combat... My grandma Lois estimated all the shooting lasted less than 12 seconds!!!)

90+ deer and 70 elk ran wild for 5 minutes in EVERY DIRECTION after the shooting stopped!!

In my family this is regarded as the "mad minute " night....

35 deer in clearing, whitetail and mulies...

There was 1 mulie doe on opposite treeline...

GIANT BLUE DOE... 300LBS MINUS GUTS WHEN WE HUNG HER NEXT DAY....

PRISM rangefinder and duplex on various x 3 BOTH said 800 yards...

Steady rest, bipod light pressure, prone in middle of closed 1.5 lane haul road....

Lined up lower vertical duplex with front leg, slightly behind, used quarter to adjust elevation as chart taped on stock indicated, my buddy called wind....

Waited for lull in wind...

"Kill Her"

Gotta love Marines!!!!

Boom.

Hit 3 inches higher than intended. Still took out both lungs, heart, jellied liver and took out far shoulder....

DRT

I instantly became a hero at work and among family...

3 years later measured with first laser rangefinder.....

790 yards.....

BEAUTIFUL ANIMAL, papa and dad were right, blue does taste awful and you need to chew EVERY bite 3 times, but great jerky!!!

she was 14 years old according to ore dept of wildlife tooth study...

Only took 6 years and 9000 rounds? In 4 rifles shooting 600 meters to 1000 yards....

Not for beginners!!!

Not for sissies...

If you are gonna kill animals in that 8" circle, better burn POUNDS of powder!!!

Know your weapon!

Master your technique IN THE FIELD!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.