• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Redumbo

Someone is willing to pay $200,000 for a car that doesn't necessarily mean that the going rate. Antiques are a little different than reloading components. I'd rather use the comparison someone else did earlier about toilet paper during the pandemic where those went out and bought all they could. This difference is coming across someone who has no toilet paper and telling them you'll sell them toilet paper for $200 a bundle and then tell them well, that's the going rate for it.
I guess I am the type where if someone needed something I could spare I would ask a fair price. I already have when I knew someone who needed pistol powder I wasn't going to use it so I sold it to him (1 month ago) for the same **** price that's on the container. Just to pass along the curtesy

Well, I look out for my peeps ......

and would never mark up what I paid ....

strangers on Gunbroker with hard cash and a desire to have at any cost ? hmmmmm

EB6647B4-7CA7-46BE-B4AD-B59DC2DBEEC9.jpeg
8D978AB8-845E-47F7-A9C3-735903DCEDAD.jpeg
DFB5667B-BA67-45A5-93B2-DAEAFD049C55.jpeg

look at the antique furniture business, some are paying extravagant prices for old junk, and of course the collectible venue, virtually anything can be sold for whatever buyers are willing to pay ... and that is the key, folks ... "buyers willing to pay" ...... remember that ........

this has been going on for quite a long time with virtually any product you can think of, but when it involves gun related stuff like powder, primers, bullets & brass... then the cries of "hoarder, scalper, scammer" etc. etc. erupt ....

the solution is .... don't buy it ... if the crap doesn't sell then the price will be adjusted to current market values
A free market keeps us all free.

I don't think you understand what extortion is. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything.
Agreed. People are free to choose to buy, and those that do have choices as to who to buy from.
I know exactly what extortion is because I'm old enough to remember when gunpowder was shipped without any hazmat "fees".

Nice that you've got yours, but if you were in desperate need of ammo...Gunbroker. American capitalism.

you should always be ready for hard times. so who is really to blame for the lack of foresight for hard times?

be gun related components, toilet paper, food, reserve cash for emergencies.

this is no different than having enough of anything else.

i once overheard a convo of a dude trying to buy a nice camero gem another gentleman. it wasn't a highly sought after camero, 70 something. the guy trying to buy it knew what it was worth but the owner didn't want to sell it. the buyer offered a ridiculous amount (3-4 times worth of i remember correctly). and the owner took it.

some things are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

auction sites are no different. prices people ask are no different. though again, i keep an eye on gougers and won't do business with them in the future.

i've fallen in hard times in the past and learned many valuable lessons from those times.

this is no different, nor am i gonna put my stuff up for sale that i got a good/great deal on because i know it's gonna be hard to replace or never find that deal again.

i will however help a new reloader out, like selling them some spare components i no longer use for the price i paid for them pre panic.

so with that said, i did buy 3lbs of retumbo (for a reasonable price) to trade with and trading is first priority. but if someone walked up and offered $200 for it without even asking me a price on it, i wouldn't turn it down because that's what it's worth to them. i would ask them are they sure they wanna pay that much for it and probably offer it for less. but i won't sell it cheap so they can turn around and flip it.

to me, my retumbo is worth pound for pound of RL26, even if the person with RL26 paid $30 for it and i paid $55 for my pound.

y'all think retumbo is bad, maybe i'm missing something but varget is worse in my opinion. i absolutely refuse to use it in any of my calibers because i know it's the first powder to disappear.

but what do i know. i'm just joe shmo

Never cared much for Retumbo, have two unopened 8 lb jugs and several 1 lb'rs, plus the ones from different lots I mixed up to standardize them into one batch, both my 300 RUMS, 30-378 Wby & 7.82 Warbird didn't like the powder, preferred RL 25 then and RL33 now, maybe I'll try Retumbo in my wildcats to see what the fuss is all about

Never cared much for Retumbo, have two unopened 8 lb jugs and several 1 lb'rs, plus the ones from different lots I mixed up to standardize them into one batch, both my 300 RUMS, 30-378 Wby & 7.82 Warbird didn't like the powder, preferred RL 25 then and RL33 now, maybe I'll try Retumbo in my wildcats to see what the fuss is all about
I have three guns that shot Retumbo quite well: two Lapuas and two RUMs. I started to experiment with N570 and 8133; now I only have one that shoots Retumbo, and given I have about 5-6 lbs, I should be able to find more before I run out. If not, I am sure that rifle will shoot either N570 or 8133 as well.

It is a rare rifle that shoots accurately with only one powder.

I've never seen the allure either. Nothing I've tried it in has shot what I considered good.

I never cared too much for Retumbo either. I get better results from RL 33.

I agree 100 percent. Its not the sellor taking advantage. Its the buyer needing or wanting it that bad. So they pay way too much. But its a free country and they can spend what they want.
As a home owner I would put my home up for sale and yes it would go to the highest bidder. But would you go to a car dealership and say I'll take that truck that's on sale for $60k. Then someone beside you says I'll pay $65. I would just star laughing. I would say this is not a action. The sale price on the new truck is $60k and I'll pay $60K. It's like this powder at retail store. It's not an action. I'll pay the $25-$30 for the pound of powder and that's it. Now if someone more intelligent than than me offers $200 for that same powder than it's those intelligent people driving the prices up. They are their own worst enemy. If the person behind the counter doesn't except the $25-$30 for the powder then just say good luck and walk away. The seller will take the hint and know they can't gouge their prices then they will come back down. To bad the world is full of idiots.

Last edited: