Recoil ruined scope?

Dirtydiesel

Shot my newish 300 rem ultra mag quite a bit this weekend (most since I've owned it) after going to clean it tonight I noticed a bunch of flaks on the lens. Attempted to clean lens but no luck. After further inspection it looks like it's inside the back end of the scope.

Did the heavy 300rum recoil nock some paint off? The scope is a bit older but shoots great.

Right in time for hunting next weekend -_-

Can I clean it? Or is it toast

BB722B2A-9B26-4338-95BC-3EA8438407C6-10464-00000BDE822CD0C1_zpsb53b5de0.jpg

F0CBBEC3-8F9F-4550-9EFA-BDDAD1EA8C00-10464-00000BDE9EB340A7_zpscdccb2dd.jpg

It's more likely chips of adhesive. I can only state the obvious. This is not a good sign. There is probably a crack developing in the adhesive that holds something in place. That something may be loose. Maybe the adhesive is failing due to age. If so, things are likely to get worse.

If the chips aren't too visible when aiming the rifle, you could get by for a short while. If the scope is under warranty, the repair should be covered. If so, I would send it in as soon as possible. If not, I would retire the scope.

It occurred to me that you might be able to move the chips to the edge of the lens by lightly whacking the eyepiece in the side with a piece of hard wood. After thinking about it for a while, it now seems like a bad idea. You could easily hit the scope too hard and mar finish or dent the eyepiece. Just firing the rifle may move the chips around.

Good luck.

If it still holds zero I would leave it alone until after your hunt next weekend then replace it with a new one and if it can be repaired under warranty do that later. Then you will have a back up.

If it was a Vortex scope they would just replace it with a new one and if it was discontinued they would replace it with a newer model. AND you would probably have the new one in 5 days.

joseph

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.