Power of spotting scope and Recoil in G

jimisbell

Two different questions:
1) what power should the spotting scope be at 2+ miles?
2) what is the g rating needed for a rifle scope to survive the recoil of a 50BMG?? Is 3,000g enough?

20-60X82 spotter set on 45 @ 1 1/2 mile. I've looked through several spotters of a variety of quality with various results in clarity. Some of the mid-priced spotters were as clear as some of the higher end. I read somewhere you should personally look through several spotters before buying. The article stated every eye doesn't view objects the same, my guide friend likes his mid-priced over a couple of high end spotters. I just kept upgrading until I found optimal clarity for my eyes.
For the 50BMG I'll yield to someone who has first hand experience. Good luck

Attachments

• 8EF3D4B1-1F36-474A-B86C-325AFC0F9EA0.jpeg
    8EF3D4B1-1F36-474A-B86C-325AFC0F9EA0.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 90
I usually use my 15x56 for glassing 2+ miles. If I need a better look, out comes the BTX. I have glassed up pronghorn at 4+ with the 15s. But could only discern it was a buck. Had to go 36x to get an idea if he was worth going to get a closer look.

This deer is at 880 yards through a 36x BTX, no camera zoom
20210212_111212.jpg

This is 3.1 miles with a 36x BTX as well. I do use some phone camera zoom in the video.

Last edited:
Thanks. It looks like I will need 50 power or maybe even more as I am wanting to spot 50 cal holes in a target for scope adjustment.
I have a very good astronomical telescope that can be upped to 100 or more power by changing eyepieces and an inverter to correct the immage for terestrial use. The objective is 104mm Maybe overkill, but saves money by not having to buy another scope.

Thanks. It looks like I will need 50 power or maybe even more as I am wanting to spot 50 cal holes in a target for scope adjustment.
I have a very good astronomical telescope that can be upped to 100 or more power by changing eyepieces and an inverter to correct the immage for terestrial use. The objective is 104mm Maybe overkill, but saves money by not having to buy another scope.
I've been hesitant to take my telescope out for spotting purposes. They are a touch more fragile than dedicated spotting scopes. Is my concern unfounded?

I've got a telescope that might actually work to see .30 cal holes at 1k yards, but I haven't tried it…

Maybe too fragile, but I will have it on a tripod and far enough away from the 50 cal so it doesnt get blown over....LOL I think the main concern is making sure I clean it as religiously as I do the gun when I get home at the end of the day.
I wouldnt use a reflector without a glass window over the end to protect the mirror but a refractor should be ok.

I usually use my 15x56 for glassing 2+ miles. If I need a better look, out comes the BTX. I have glassed up pronghorn at 4+ with the 15s. But could only discern it was a buck. Had to go 36x to get an idea if he was worth going to get a closer look.

This deer is at 880 yards through a 36x BTX, no camera zoom
View attachment 297563

This is 3.1 miles with a 36x BTX as well. I do use some phone camera zoom in the video.

Great examples dude. What phone you using? That zoom was legit. Also, I'm testing the 12 NL pures to see if they're worth consolidating my 10's & 15's into one bino. We'll see.

Great examples dude. What phone you using? That zoom was legit. Also, I'm testing the 12 NL pures to see if they're worth consolidating my 10's & 15's into one bino. We'll see.
I was just on a pronghorn hunt with some buddies. Four of us had the 15x56s, and one had 12x NL Pure. Clarity is insane on the NLs, but the extra 3x of the 15s made a big difference on looking over goats at 1-2 miles. I will continue to use my 15s and 10s. But I will probably upgrade my 10s to the NL Pures.

Phone was a Samsung S10, I have now got an S21.

I was just on a pronghorn hunt with some buddies. Four of us had the 15x56s, and one had 12x NL Pure. Clarity is insane on the NLs, but the extra 3x of the 15s made a big difference on looking over goats at 1-2 miles. I will continue to use my 15s and 10s. But I will probably upgrade my 10s to the NL Pures.

Phone was a Samsung S10, I have now got an S21.
Thanks for the input dude dude! I appreciate it!
I can't make the Samsung jump unfortunately :(. I've talked way too much **** on my buddies for having them over the years hahaha.

Regarding your question about a 50 BMG suitable scope, I would simply ask the manufacturer if a particular scope is suitable, or not. You will seldom find g ratings in scope specs and even if you did, I wouldn't regard them as being very useful. Why? F=ma. The g loading at the scope is a 3-axis effect and a function of the mass of your gun which can vary widely from BR models to lighter weight "recreational" models. Note that muzzle brakes impose g loads in the reverse direction (and sometimes lateral directions) that can have adverse effects on scope durability.

All that said, there are many scopes, and not necessarily expensive scopes, that will tolerate 50 BMG use. Talk to your gun manufacturer for a recommendation and also follow up with the scope manufacturer. For myself, I initially selected a Vortex Razer HD II but have since moved on a Zero Compromise ZC527. Again, it's important to note that you don't need to spend this kind of money if you don't want to. Just do your homework and good luck...!

Last edited:
Two different questions:
2) what is the g rating needed for a rifle scope to survive the recoil of a 50BMG?? Is 3,000g enough?
Regarding #1, generally I use a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x, 85mm but I'm not so sure you will see a 0.50 hole at 2+ miles. On the other hand you might take alook at Longshot camera systems (or similar) as well, depending on your setup. Advertised to reach 2 miles on one of the models (about $850). You set the camera downrange near the target. The one I have works well and it attaches to my spotting scope and may attach to your telescope ($200). I have also found the software pretty good for tracking sequential shots.

Two different questions:
I have not noted G ratings on scopes. Am I missing something?? Always something new to learn. I'm using multiple of each Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50, NF ATACR 7-35x56, and Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35x56 scopes on multiple Barrett M107A1s with zero problems or change in performance over extended periods with 1000s of rounds. The semi-auto M107A1s have a long push type of recoil rather than a sharp impulse characteristic of the 50BMG bolt actions. Don't shoot bolt 50s, all bolts in other calibers.