Rechamber or new barrel?

120mm

I have a Savage 10FP in .308 that shoots great. I would like a gun just like it, only with more oomph. Would it make sense to cut a new chamber for something like .300 WSM, screw in another barrel in a caliber that will cycle in this action, or just sell it and get another rifle in a bigger caliber? And if I do, would a 7mm WSM, .300 WSM or other caliber be a good choice. Here's a pic of the rifle and what it can do "as is."

PDR_0767.jpg

The target:

DSC00043.jpg

you can get barrels for you savage prefitted and install them your self. you will also need to change the bolt head out if you step up to the wsm class.

the 7wsm or 300 wsm are great choices for any one.

Looks familiar...
site1.JPG

Keep that shooter! Build a nice custom rig or order one of those Model 700p in 300WM or 300RUM if you want some extra range. Why not have the best of both worlds?

In a Savage WSM's must use a controled feed bolt head.
This would also require machine work to install a fixed blade ejector.
You would be better off starting with a WSM action.

deerkiller

Go to Sharp Shooter Supply.

they have prefitted barrels and extra bolts ready to go. The WSM in 1-11 twist or 7WSM in 1-9 would be way to go.

Rechamber alone will run at least $150 and that is over half the cost of a brand new barrel from SSS.

BH

I would tell you to rebarrel in the 7wsm, around oklahoma this is the most underated of all of the WSM's and I have no clue why. Those 7mm bullets are great ballistically and they carry a lot of thump down range.

good luck
steve

I checked out the Sharp Shooters site and those kits are Sahuweeet!

I'm an airplane mechanic, so I could actually have a switch barrel Savage with all the tools and stuff I have access to.

That way I could have all the short actioned guns I want!

The Savage rifles that are chambered for WSM cartridges have a 1.125"x20 tpi shank to safely accommodate the fatter cartridge.
Your 308 is a 1.055"x20 tpi shank and is not recommended for the WSM or Ultramag series. The exception is if you have it breeched up like a Remington 700 without the headspace nut.
It may also be adequate if you go with a chrome-moly barrel. I know folks do the WSM conversion on the 1.055 shank, it just doesn't have enough meat left to be entirely safe.

If the Savage is too small dia. then why is remington's ok to chamber anything with a 1.062 shank. The actions are about the same thickness I think so I don't understand that statement.

[ QUOTE ]
If the Savage is too small dia. then why is remington's ok to chamber anything with a 1.062 shank. The actions are about the same thickness I think so I don't understand that statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Remchester group of actions the peak pressure area of the barrel is ~1.200". The 1" or 1.062" x 16 tpi threads are inside the action and supported by same. The Savage barrel's breech end is 1.055" and the threads extend significantly forward out of the action to accommodate the headspace nut. Unless the Savage is breeched without the headspace nut it leaves you with ~ .250" wall thickness at your peak pressure location. (1" in front of the base of the seated bullet.) Likely this is OK with chrome moly or chrome vanadium steels. With 416R stainless combined with cold weather it is below minimum safety margins. If you use one of the 410 stainless blanks from Krieger you add some resilience in cold weather, however, it's pushing the edge of the envelope.

Ok Carbonman that makes sense. Sometimes the old brain is not fully engaged. Yep that's the problem.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok Carbonman that makes sense. Sometimes the old brain is not fully engaged. Yep that's the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maico,
Not a brain engagement issue! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm a visual kinda person too. I've drawn a bunch of prints with these wall thickness issues in mind for our carbon fiber barrels.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.