Rechamber 7rm to 28? (Proof Barrel)

Mxracer532

So I have a 1st Gen Sendero in 7RM but plan on purchasing a Proof Research Barrel. I have RCBS comp die's for the 7rm. Is the 28's 2-300fps worth the added cost? Should I just stick to 7rm and get a 1-8.5 and run 180's? 195's? Also what should I expect to pay to have this done with truing Rem action, minus the cost of the Proof Barrel?

Oh, that's a lot of questions.

7mm RM is a fine cardtridge. Fine accuracy.

The 28-Nosler is "better" by being more accurate at the same effort level and faster.

The added cost being new dies and brass? For me, it's worth it.

Everything is chaning very quickly however, at the moment it seems to be about $500 for truing and barrel installation on a Remington 700 platform. Depending how how you handle this. Local or by mail. There are several smiths here that can do an excelent job for you, however, please let them tell you the price.

A recap would be:
Donor R700 - $0
Proof Barrel - $800
Smithing - $500
Dies - $100
Brass - $100

$1500. Not bad for a "custom" carbon barrel rifle.

Everything else is a consumable that would be the same either way.

I will be getting the Proof much cheaper. I also have a brake on my 7mag barrel now that I'm hoping can be used for the Proof.
Oh, that's a lot of questions.

7mm RM is a fine cardtridge. Fine accuracy.

The 28-Nosler is "better" by being more accurate at the same effort level and faster.

The added cost being new dies and brass? For me, it's worth it.

Everything is chaning very quickly however, at the moment it seems to be about $500 for truing and barrel installation on a Remington 700 platform. Depending how how you handle this. Local or by mail. There are several smiths here that can do an excelent job for you, however, please let them tell you the price.

A recap would be:
Donor R700 - $0
Proof Barrel - $800
Smithing - $500
Dies - $100
Brass - $100

$1500. Not bad for a "custom" carbon barrel rifle.

Everything else is a consumable that would be the same either way.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.