Rechambering from 7 WSM to 28 Nosler?

Red 1

Ok this is a fact finding quest. I love my 7WSM barrel but brass is getting harder and harder to find so I was thinking if this 28 nosler took off like the 26 nosler has mabe I would rechamber when I exhausted my current stock pile of brass, but from what I have found it looks like the WSM case might be ever so slightly biger. Any help in this journey would be helpfull I submit my Question to the Gun Gurus.

Thank you very much.
Rick C.

.005 is not 'slightly bigger' in machining terms.

Best thing to do is cast your chamber and measure. If the spec reamer won't mesh/clean up the chamber you are of course out of luck.

Yeah the WSM is bigger but you should be able to take an inch or so off the chamber end, rechamber and rethread. Depends on your contour and barrel length.

You will be able to buy 28 Nosler brass though judging by the pile of 26 Nosler brass just sitting on the shelf at my local Sportsman's. You will have to trade your car in or take a second on the house to afford the brass though (gouge, gouge).

... sitting on the shelf at my local Sportsman's. You will have to trade your car in or take a second on the house to afford the brass though (gouge, gouge).
It is good brass, a little soft but high quality.

I still need to make some xx-Nosler from R-P RUM to compare. Nosler is ~.022 thick and R-P RUM is ~.026

Thank you guys for replying to my thread I thought I would have to shorten the barrel at the action to make it work, and yes I'm running a long action with my 7WSM Savage small shank. I'm running Berger 180's at 2995 MV with the bullets seated out to .010 off the lands and it loves them but as you guys well know the brass is a pain the only way I have gotten what I have now is to buy federal fusion loaded ammo and I just bought some 270WSM Norma brass but it is a pita to have to borrow 300WSM dies so i can make the false sholder for fire forming and the cost of the 300WSM brass at over 2 dollars a pop is an outrages

Thanks agian
Rick C.

As a 7WSM shooter I've had the same problem locating brass. The answer IMO is to merely re chamber to 7-300WSM. This way you can buy readily available 300WSM cases and just neck down, a very simple operation.
You can also buy high quality Norma brass if that interests you.

I've thought about that as I'm already buying norma brass but have you weight sorted your brass if norma brass is so good then why is there 6 gr deference from the lightist case to the heaviest case I would have thought it would have been a lot closer in weight. I just bought some 270 WSM Norma brass becouse it was $1.13 ec and 300 is $2.30 ec more work though. Also being in a long action I think with the shorter case I'm most likly going to have feeding isues as I do not at this point, luckily! My other thought was that I might loose some velocity and I know that is not the end of the world but Ive got a combo I realy like. I will probably just keep on scraping together brass as I find it or put my money were my mouth is and buy nosler brass.

Thanks
Rick C.

A year ago I started a project to have a 7mm WSM custom rifle built. However after several months of not being able to find the brass I changed the order to a 28 Nosler.

I finally realized that I was not likely to ever find the native brass and would have to do the false shoulder and fire form process with 300 WSM. Early throat and barrel burn out became a concern with the extra firings. I still have the unused RCBS Dies for the 7MM WSM.

Opening the neck on the 26 Nosler to 284 is much easier, although the neck length is a little short now. It will be better when they finally come out with the 28 Nosler Brass. Until then its re-sized 26 Nosler and reformed 7mm Ultra Mag bass.

The completed 28 Nosler rifle is still a few weeks away as are the custom dies. Should be fun though as all new rifles are.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.