Recent Experience with Peterson Brass- Neck Breakage and Brittleness

Here is one of the reasons I hunt with Virgin brass. In this case Peterson 300WM L. 215 Hybrids, 215M and 70.7 of pulldown powder from MK248 MOD0.

Not precision testing, just adjusting for center at 500 yards. However, note how the straight the line when I adjusted. Not shown were the retained velocities at 500. The SD explains the tight velocity spread. Just 4 shots, saving powder for the hunt . Not statistically significant, but very promising

Target is the NRA SR3 with 3 inch X ring. eTarget is Shotmarker

Screenshot_20230824_110944_Chrome.jpg

FWIW I just trashed half my Peterson 338 Lapua cases for neck splits. They do not have light coming through them yet, but would be afraid they would not allow consistency. 5th firing annealed after every firing.

Switched to Lapua and was disappointed with what was in the box. Crushed necks, cases dented/creased. Quality control on all the high $$$ is not what I would call match grade.

That's what I have been seeing, if someone is paying twice as much or more for their product at least the product needs to be better. 🤨

FWIW I just trashed half my Peterson 338 Lapua cases for neck splits. They do not have light coming through them yet, but would be afraid they would not allow consistency. 5th firing annealed after every firing.

Switched to Lapua and was disappointed with what was in the box. Crushed necks, cases dented/creased. Quality control on all the high $$$ is not what I would call match grade.
Something going on, I look back and it appears you are working your to much. I think Miker has hit on the head. Like had said before. I was loosing neck in about 3 firing. At the time I was using the brass in a cake pan with water in it. Used a forch to anneal my brass. I did by eyeball. It worked and stop the splits. I don't know what you are using for annealing or how you are checking on the annealing for temp. As I said I get a Bench Source annealer to do the work. I have Tempilaq to mark the cases to determine the temp is getting there.
It kind of sound like if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. 😁