Recent Experience with Peterson Brass- Neck Breakage and Brittleness

As opposed to some of you I do not anneal. I normally get between 3 and 5 loads per case which is apparently what others are getting when annealing. I find that Lake City military brass, 308 and 30-06 last the longest and since I shoot common ammo the loss of brass is not a life threatening issue like with other oddball cases out there. Not annealing simply saves me one step in the reloading process without, it seems, any loss. I should also note that I seldom load anywhere near max pressure finding the lesser loads more accurate at the distances I shoot.
I differ with you. I use to lose brass in 3 firing without annealing. The old way of in the pie pan and using a torch. It stop my neck splitting. I only lost brass from primer pocket getting to big. The other is you get a more consistance releast.
I feel that using your dies and sizing then, then using the expander ball to open up the necks work the brass a lot. In other words you are working your brass to much.

I differ with you. I use to lose brass in 3 firing without annealing. The old way of in the pie pan and using a torch. It stop my neck splitting. I only lost brass from primer pocket getting to big. The other is you get a more consistance releast.
I feel that using your dies and sizing then, then using the expander ball to open up the necks work the brass a lot. In other words you are working your brass to much.
Mine have always been around 3-4 loadings when I was starting to see split necks.
I hope now that I am annealing that will help

You need to get to proper temp and area that is supose to be anneal. AMP is know as the best and pricey too. I have a Bench-Source w / and attachment to use both torches off a 25lbs tank and hose to each torch. That way I don't run out propane very quickly. That attachment can be purchase at Amazon. Tempilaq paint or marking pen to besure that you are reaching the correct temp. Amazon again. There is a salt system the works too. Some complain that it doesn't get the brass hot enough.

Last edited:
We all have our opinions as well as what seems to work for us. As mentioned previously I do not load to maximum pressures. I don't have issues with primer pockets. So I guess it boils down to do whatever works best for you. :)