Recap of the URSA NorCal Jun ‘20 event

ELR Researcher

21 Jun 2020 - Recap of the URSA NorCal Jun '20 event (by RD, Lynn Dragoman; build info and minor comments from Oscar)

Shooters, we had 8 guns on the line Sunday and I had no powder or we would have had 9.

First time URSA NorCal shooter Calshipbuilder started out with 7 hits in 10 shots at 2054 yards and earning himself an achievement point to start out the day. Nice shooting!!! [He shot URSA SoCal multiple times before moving to NorCal a few years ago.]

The winner of our first match was Calguns regular Whitemamba shooting a Billy Goat Machine (BGM) 338 Lapua Ackley Improved. Congrats on the win to Whitemamba!!! And runner-up was Ken Eng. Nice shooting gentleman!!!

The weather was great, and we had time, so we held a second match. Calguns regular Ken Eng, shooting a Billy Goat Machine 510 DTC, showed us all how to punish the gong with 7 hits out of 10 shots and he didn't even fire any practice shots. Ken got another achievement point and is a tough competitor on the 50 caliber circuit. Congrats to Ken Eng!!!

Match 2 winner was Doug Pulver shooting another Billy Goat Machine 338 Lapua Ackley Improved - which he only received a couple days ago, so he shot fire-forming ammo during the match. Doug had 5 hits on the gong out of his 10 shots and took the victory as Ken Eng and Whitemamba both only had 1 round of ammo to shoot!!!!!

Guys when you come to a match bring a truckload of ammo as this sport is addictive.

Doug got his new BGM Rifle shot it for the first time won a match and got an achievement point. Not a bad father's day. And if all that wasn't enough Whitemamba and myself checked on a 3100 yard range to shoot on for later this year.

Skeeter at Billy Goat Machine was shooting a suppressed 338 Lapua Ackley Improved and I couldn't believe how quiet it was. I hope someone shot some videotape of it in action? A .50 BMG with a suppressor sounds like a truck driver releasing his air brakes. Skeeters 338 sounded like a dud round, it was so quiet. Full house loads and no hearing protection at all. It takes a lot to impress me, that suppressor was something else.

Picture is Doug's new BillyGoat Machine 338 improved. [See Gallery.]

Build data (alpha order by shooter):

Calshipbuilder was shooting a "Carlsbad"-built 338 LM AI with Weatherby Mark V action, Bartlein 28" barrel, McMillan A5 stock, and Nightforce ATACR, 7-35x56 scope with Ken Farrell 40 MOA base and NF rings; he was using Nosler 300 gr, RDFs.

Doug was shooting a Bill Goat Machine (BGM)-built 338 LM AI with BGM "OVIS" (Defiance Deviant Tactical) action, Bartlein 31.5" barrel, Manners T5A stock, and Nightforce ATACR, 7-35x56 scope with ERATAC 0-70 MOA inclined base/rings; he was using 300 gr Berger OTMs.

Ken was shooting a Bill Goat Machine (BGM)-built .50 DTC Eastes with McMillan TAC 50 action, Lilja 35" barrel, McMillan 50 LBR stock, and Nighforce 12-42x56 Benchrest scope with shooter-designed-and-built, 100-MOA base with Precision Reflex/PRI rings; he was using Cutting Edge 762 gr MTACs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.