Rebuild 29 year old "7mm x 8mm" (STW)

Sharing some photos of a new rebuilt rifle. In 91 I had model 700 classic re-barreled and trued for what I was calling a 7mm x 8mm. The gunsmith's reamer had his own name on it as it was made before Shooting Times claimed it. We had been using the cartridge for a while so I wasn't ready to call it an STW. But the rifle did leave the shop with a crisp "7MM STW" stamped on the barrel. It wore the factory wood and a new Leupold. The whole rig cost more than I should have spent but I'm glad I did.
Simpson probably had load data published then but I had limited access to that information and did a lot of testing at home. 2-3 shots at a time, then hike back to the loading bench for an adjustment. I settled on a safe but strong charge of 7828 behind a 150 grain ballistic tip. Bullet choice was made because most shots would be in the 500-700 yard range. 3360 fps was the velocity.
The rifle proved to be incredible and shots stretched to near 1000 yards on deer. We had more 1 shot kills than we deserved for hunters who don't get to shoot often enough.
After a good season this year and a count of total rounds through it we though we should rebarrel again. That same reamer was located and new Hart 30" Rem Mag contour was chambered and a Mcmillan Gamemaster gave the old walnut place in the corner. The Leupold was swapped for a new NF 5-20x56. The rifle is making just under 3,500 fps with the same load 78.6 gr of 7828 but now is loaded with 150 grain accubonds (not the LR). I no longer reload but am getting Hendershot Ammo to make these.
Take a look...

Attachments

• IMG_3858.jpg
    IMG_3858.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3990.jpg
    IMG_3990.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3975.jpg
    IMG_3975.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 70
The rifle produces 3,570 fps with a 150 gr accubond. 750 yard shots are pretty routine. But fun! It will generate some heat if you pile three shots into a group at a normal shooting speed. Clean cold bore shots seem pretty close to fouled bore shots.

Attachments

• IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.