Really really dumb question (neck sizing)

Tikka Lover

Official LRH SPONSOR
OK, make fun all you want but answer my question at the same time:D

I just bought a neck sizer for my RCBS reloader because everything I read on this forum says that's the way to go. So do I do anything different besides just run the case up in it? Should I remove the expander ball? Lastly, do I use the neck die to "bump the shoulder back" if that is needed?

The case is a 300 Win. Mag. if that makes any difference.

Sorry for the super greenhorn question. I'd rather ask and get made fun of and do right rather than not ask and screw up something.

Thanks

If you plan on bumping the shoulder back, then your going to need a FL die. The neck die will only do the neck. Some guys may try it with the neck die, but lots of people do it with an FL. You can tinker around with the expander ball, but you need to find how much of the neck you want to size and the tension you want. Most guys size just half the neck and depending on where the expander is situated, you may not need to mess with it. Some BR shooters only do a 1/8" of the neck and have to adjust the expander ball. Hope this helps.

Hey Tikka

With the neck die you just need to adjust it in your press according to the instructions and resize the neck. It will not size the case body or push the shoulder back. You leave the expander ball in and make sure and lube inside your neck like with any expander ball type die.

After firing the loads always set your rifle up and rechamber the fired cases to check for a crush fit. A crush fit is when the bolt is harder to close than it would be with no case in it. If you meet too much resistance for your liking then it is time to push the shoulder back. Redding makes an excellent Body Die that will size the case body and push the shoulder back. You use it after neck sizing with your neck sizer.

If you get the opportunity, get a Lee Collet Neck Sizer. With those you don't need to lube the inside of the neck and you get better concentricity.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.