Read... Shoot.... Repeat!

shovelhead

Hello everyone! Definitely not new to this sight, and have greatly appreciated everyone's insight! I have been an outdoor enthusiast, hunter, since single digit age. Doing my part in the great state of Wi. , and many others. In the last few years I have really taken a interest in extending my shooting abilities. Had a donor 300 remmy dialed into a nice rig, which has only fueled me for more. Reloaded for the last 20 yrs. or so, and want to do a complete one off. Looking hard at the 6.5x284? The majority of my shooting will be to practice and proof loads for hunting. The Smith that did my gun said it is a solid 600 yard performer and it shoots 1/2 to3/4 MOA if I do my part at both benches. I would like to get into the same sort of platform that doesn't take 70 + grains of powder and gives me a decent amount of yardage. Of course I understand from shooting my 300 for 20 years that it may not be apples to apples, so I'm trying to decide in long or short action for the 6.5... Or the good o'l 270. This gun is for deer and down..... Range....realistically 500yrds. Farther if I can hone my skills more. Thanks! Cory

Hello everyone! Definitely not new to this sight, and have greatly appreciated everyone's insight! I have been an outdoor enthusiast, hunter, since single digit age. Doing my part in the great state of Wi. , and many others. In the last few years I have really taken a interest in extending my shooting abilities. Had a donor 300 remmy dialed into a nice rig, which has only fueled me for more. Reloaded for the last 20 yrs. or so, and want to do a complete one off. Looking hard at the 6.5x284? The majority of my shooting will be to practice and proof loads for hunting. The Smith that did my gun said it is a solid 600 yard performer and it shoots 1/2 to3/4 MOA if I do my part at both benches. I would like to get into the same sort of platform that doesn't take 70 + grains of powder and gives me a decent amount of yardage. Of course I understand from shooting my 300 for 20 years that it may not be apples to apples, so I'm trying to decide in long or short action for the 6.5... Or the good o'l 270. This gun is for deer and down..... Range....realistically 500yrds. Farther if I can hone my skills more. Thanks! Cory

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

For the 6.5, do custom search on the top right corner for the 6.5 Sherman by Rich (screen name ELKAHOLIC).

For the .270 Win, if you have the right barrel twist, you can load the 165 (1:9")/175 (1:8") Matrix bullets (.277 Caliber Rifle Bullets Built for Accuracy | Matrix Ballistics).

You can also do a wildcat ...

I have http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/

For more omp than the AI, check out the .270 Sherman (same search methodology noted above).

Good luck!

Ed

Feenix- Thanks for the reply! Went with the 6.5x284... Ordered a krieger 26" 5 con. Fluted. HS detachable mag and a timney.... Going for 2lbs. Stock? Thinking game scout or carbon A3 edge? Trying to keep weight down. Ready to order up a stiller- don't know if I want the predator or tac 300? I did read the post you suggested and I guess I wasn't ready for non factory cartridge. Loaded a lot but not any fire forming of brass. Figured I would get a long action, so if for some reason I don't like it I can run a different barrel down the road. The whole chamber reaming for the slight differences in brass is a bit confusing. Trying to wrap my head around that. Thanks again!

Feenix- Thanks for the reply! Went with the 6.5x284... Ordered a krieger 26" 5 con. Fluted. HS detachable mag and a timney.... Going for 2lbs. Stock? Thinking game scout or carbon A3 edge? Trying to keep weight down. Ready to order up a stiller- don't know if I want the predator or tac 300? I did read the post you suggested and I guess I wasn't ready for non factory cartridge. Loaded a lot but not any fire forming of brass. Figured I would get a long action, so if for some reason I don't like it I can run a different barrel down the road. The whole chamber reaming for the slight differences in brass is a bit confusing. Trying to wrap my head around that. Thanks again!

The 6.5x284 is no slouch; check out the 140/150 Matrix for pills. Good luck!

Hello again Feenix- we'll the build is well on it's way. Ended up with a defiance deviant hunter, krieger #5 fluted, manners eh-1, h.s bottom metal, timney 2lbs. Any recommendations on a ffp scope? I'm a tradesman so moa works great for me..... Running a pst on my 300wm rig love it, but thought I would get a little more perspective on possible better glass? Thanks Cory

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts