Re-barrel

coachA

I have a Savage 116 that I plan to re-barrel. It is a 7mm rem mag now but its twist rate is not what I need for the heavier bullets. I am trying to decide on what I want to re-barrel it with. I plan on using the same rifle out west for elk. I am just curious to see what yall think.

You may want to consider the .300 or .338 win mag as potential options. The .300 win would give you more options as far as bullet choices but both are quality cartridges capable of handling most if not all game out west.

If you like the 7 mag. why not rebarrel with a better twist to handle the heavy bullets you want to shoot. If I was going to hunt Elk, the 7mag. would be my choice of calibers and a bullet in the 160gr. to 180gr. Just MHO.

Here is another vote for the 300 Win mag. It is accurate, has a WIDE range of bullets, has been an elk thumper a long time and is also a great deer harvester.

Hard to argue with any of the above.

If you want to stick with the 7mm Rem that's plenty for Elk under most circumstances.

The 300wm gives you better ballistics and more energy which is important at long range.

There are great bullet choices for both calibers.

All my Idaho elk fell to a lowly 308 and 165gr Hot-Cor's. This year's was a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Despite what they tell you on TV, they aren't dipped in titanium.

If you like your 7, twist it up for the 195 EOL and be one of the hip kids.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.