RCBS X-dies and Hornady OneShot

genecole

I have been using these products for loading my long range 30-06 loads. Recently i have had two cases in a row get stuck in the die. I have been using a liberal amount of lube and havent had this problem yet. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Gene Cole III

Hey Gene,

I had this happen to me a while back with ONESHOT. I found that I nead to clean the die well after using it, and that the first 5 or so cases I size during a session nead to be lubed VERY well to thoroughly coat the cleaned die. If the die is not cleaned after using it, that oneshot gells up and it acts just opposite of a lubricant. Since I started cleaning my die every time I'm through (with acetone generally) and then lube the first 5 cases a rediculous amount i have no problems. That said I am considering going to sizing wax instead though oneshot has to be quicker in my mind.

I use a wax based lube and have never had a stuck case in my 15 years of reloading.

Harv,

With oneshot I have never dented a case due to its very low viscosity. I was wondering what steps you take to prevent denting with the wax since I am considering switching to wax, and what steps are used when applying/removing?

thanks for the help. I will clean the die when i get the stuck case out. I have used RCBS lube on a lube pad and have never had a problem, i will probably go to this soon.

Let me start by saying it's not quick. I put a little lube on a finger and than roll a case in the lube. I use as little lube as possible. I do up to 50 at a time and when I am finished I check every case for any bumps of lube and wipe it off with my fingers. I use a bore mop with a little lube to do the inside of the neck. I tumble the cases after resising to remove all the lube. When I first started reloading I didn't clean the cases after resising. After fireing a few hundred rounds the cases became hard to remove. I though the brass was finished but found it to be a buildup of the wax lube in the chamber. I have never used any other lube. Is there a better way?

I personally would stay away from the stuff you put on with a lube pad. Unlike OneShot, it can ruin your powder (I wouldn't doubt that oneshot does when it is wet, but it dries fast and hornady states that it does not harm powder and primers. Can't state the same for the "roll on" lube).

I used the Hornady spray product for years. Also another one like it that I can't remember the name of right now. I had stuck cases too often! I was always pessimistic about how how hard it might be to use Imperial Die Wax.

Well, I'll tell you...it is so easy I would never go back to a spray product. I have probably used it now on about 500 cases without even a hint that I may be close to getting stuck. I also use it as a lube for turning necks.

Len, what's your process when using Imperial Die Wax? Where do you get the stuff? I use Lee sizing wax and was wondering if there was an easyer/faster way when using a wax based lube.

I just put a little on a few fingers and then quickly run a case through those same fingers. It doesn't take much material and I don't re-goo my fingers more than every 3 cases. Not as fast as spray unless you figure in all the occasional frustrations with the sometime problems of the spray.

I have been using wax for 16 years and never had a problem with it. Infact I have been using the same container for the last 10 years and it still is over half full and I bet I have loaded 20,000 rounds with that same container not bad considering it was 4 bucks at the time I bought it. I just rub enough on my finger so it feels moist and rub it on the case you do not need very much at all and as for cleaning dies I do that about every three years or so.
wink.gif
It is tuff to beat good case wax.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.