RCBS SUMMIT PRESS

Let me start over. I, am loading .223 for a bolt gun. I have a RCBS Jr. press and Rcbs dies. I think what you are telling me is. When I first start, I remove the expander. That will resized the brass. then I need to buy a depriming tool and a neck sizeing tool.

I should back up and address the op's question.
I have a summit press
I also have a co-Ax, a pacific 0-7(old hornady single stage),a lee classic And a lee hand press.
My ideal press aside from a co-ax would be a Redding A-7 turret (some future purchase - see johnny's reloading vids on YouTube).

the summit fills a niche for me in that it is great for portability since you don't need a bench to mount it while still being heavy enough to do decent case sizing. I take it to my hunting "glamp" mounted on a piece of 2x10.
There are 2 versions of the summit, the old one with 2 screws (inexpensive on eBay in redwhitandblue -mine) and the current model with 3 screws which addresses some of the reliability issues with the old one.
On the summit, the die moves down on the case instead of the case moving up into the die.
No real difference in performance between the summit and the hornady "o" type press except the inherent strength and on-press priming. The summit doesn't have an on-press priming option so you will need a separate priming tool- either a hand primer like the rcbs and lee or bench mounted like their other versions or a lee priming die like the one included with their hand press.
For 223 loading the summit will perform well and will be as reliable and as precise as most.
If you are not doing difficult resizing tasks (sounds like your not) then the summit will work well. I bought the short handle for the summit to make it more useable on table tops and lube cases well without any problems in sizing to date. Proper lube is key.

you won't have as much leverage as with the co-ax or some others but you shouldn't need it. The on-press priming of the co-ax is way over powered and I have ruined cases by trying to "feel" the primer seating.

Best wishes and I guarantee that whatever press you buy, it won't be your last.
Ps your rcbs junior is a competent press that a lot of competitive shooters use...

Last edited:
I really lean towards forester benchrest and redding deluxe die sets, having neck and full length sizers is nice also. The forester sizer dies do have some float with the rubber spindle bushing, even in a stationary press (this echo's Eric's suggestion already for any sizer die). I have some calibers that I use a combo of both brands, forester sizers and redding seaters. I use the Hornady concentricity guage as you can tweak the bullet without removing from guage, its pictured earlier in this thread. Replace the soft cushion on the thumbscrew w/ 10-32 nylon acorn nut. I think the final step for me will be the forester co axial press(I have to say its been a tough decision deciding between the summit and forester, if they were priced the same it would have been easy:)) . My rockchucker will take up duty with a lyman decapper die. I've been using the rcbs hand priming tool since I started and would be lost without feeling that primer pockets still good tightness. The goal for me is most loaded ammo in four different calibers coming out at .001 or less runout, got other things to do like shooting :) Good Shooting and Loading One3... Dave

Last edited:
I am going to try the Mighty Armory FL die in 6.5 CM. I will also be buying a Forester ultra micro meter seating die in 6.5 CM.

Another note, I do not believe or endorse "straitening" cartridges. If they are not good to begin they won't improve with "nudging".

Another note, I do not believe or endorse "straitening" cartridges. If they are not good to begin they won't improve with "nudging".
Well my purpose in pursuing presses and equipment that will produce perfectly straight ammo is my goal all the way. That said till I achieve that goal I will straighten all my loads cause even if its miniscule in its results......I know it won't hurt, and I can't tell when I achieve lack of runout without measuring it as I go to see what it is. Just different opinions no doubt, I think I'm on the right track to make adjustments a thing of the past at some point for me and that's what I want. Good Shooting Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.