RCBS SUMMIT PRESS

I have one. It has been great and produced some very accurate ammo. Keep it greased and add the lock n load bushing for quick die changes.

After almost 40 yrs with a Lyman Orange Crusher, decided to try out a Summit. Had it for awhile. The tool has a lot of moving parts on it. There is a sweet spot somewhere between too tight and too loose when tightening all of the lever connections to smooth operation and reducing the play in the mechanisim. I took the whole thing apart and lubricated all of the moving parts. Some were lubricated, some not so much. The one I had, the shell holder wasn't perfectly centered on the die. The press required more pull on the handle to size large magnum cases than I liked. It was tiring to use for them.... that said, didn't notice much difference with sizing short action non magnum cases. Sent it back for a refund and purchased something else.
Others may have had better experiences, wasn't for me, went another direction.

Last edited:
After almost 40 yrs with a Lyman Orange Crusher, decided to try out a Summit. Had it for awhile. The tool has a lot of moving parts on it. There is a sweet spot somewhere too tight and too loose when tightening all of the lever connections to smooth operation and reducing the play in the mechanisim. I took the whole thing apart and lubricated all of the moving parts. Some were lubricated, some not so much. The one I had, the shell holder wasn't perfectly centered on the die. The press required more pull on the handle to size large magnum cases than I liked. It was tiring to use for them.... that said, didn't notice much difference with sizing short action non magnum cases. Sent it back for a refund and purchased something else.
Others may have had better experiences, wasn't for me, went another direction.
Thank you. What did you replace it with and do like it? I have a co-ax and a 50 year old pacific. Thinking of replacing the pacific. Use it primarily for pulling bullets and magnum cartridge work

At the ultimatereloader.com review of 15 presses, the RCBS Rockchucker got the highest marks.

And I'm still using the Rockchucker press I bought in 1973 and still get very little runout.

Thank you. What did you replace it with and do like it? I have a co-ax and a 50 year old pacific. Thinking of replacing the pacific. Use it primarily for pulling bullets and magnum cartridge work
You are welcome. I bought a MEC. So far so good.
Nice fit and finish, the levers are tighter fitting without too much apparent excessive play in the connections and more mechanical advantage than the Summit. The MEC has a floating shell holder.... Mixed feelings with this feature for my own use. Bought the stand for it also. I store my most used FL and seater dies on it for easy access. Happy camper so far.

This is a lot of good info, was sold on a forester co ax but while waiting for one to come in stock I fell into this thread. Makes the rcbs summit look pretty good, specially on run out and that and the floating feature is what I want. The rockchucker didn't do bad but mine has a lot of slop when the ram is all the way up. I'm also getting a fair amount of runout on loads. Something to give some thought to...

Has anyone had any experience with the RCBS SUMMIT press?
One review I read was very positive. He commented very positively on how concentric his finished product turned out.

You may want to do a search on here for Upgrade press too what?
There is two posts at numbers 43 and 61 by guy2205 saying that he broke his Summit press twice. Just a heads up.

You may want to do a search on here for Upgrade press too what?
There is two posts at numbers 43 and 61 by guy2205 saying that he broke his Summit press twice. Just a heads up.
Thank you...I looked at all the comments. No idea why I'm thinking of upgrading..maybe a late Christmas gift to myself!!
I have a 50 year old Pacific and a 35yr old bonanza co-ax. I really just need to check out runout when I get my shop back together.
Happy New Year.

You are very welcome. About eight years ago I upgraded from a RCBS Jnr that I bought new in 1978 to a Foster Co-Ax. It reduced my run out a lot. I gave my RCBS away and then had to buy a Redding Boss press when I bought a Redding Instant Indicator as it wouldn't fit under the Co-Ax yoke. We live and learn!
Happy New Year .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.