RCBS Summit Single Stage Press

Ron Pence uses an arbor press that's just like the one you see in a tool room. Works for him, and so be it. I use a small K&M, and it'll do anything I care to do. tried several gear and rack presses, and just never liked the way they felt seating bullets. Other guys are OK with them. I under stand that.
gary

Gary: I've never used my toolroom arbor press for anything but small push boraches and small keyway stuff. Never any reloading. I use the hydraulic press for big broaches and popping bearings and such. Now I have rarely used the toolroom press for removing stuck cases.... rarely....:D:D (Don't need to admit to that now....)

Even the toolroom press is gigantic compared to the K&M so I'd expect much less 'feel'

I don't know much if anything about them. About 1 year ago I saw 6 of them at a local store. At one point they lowered the price to $179. Last week I saw the price is around $225. Oh...All 6 are still there! Same ones, I asked one of the workers.

I don't know much if anything about them. About 1 year ago I saw 6 of them at a local store. At one point they lowered the price to $179. Last week I saw the price is around $225. Oh...All 6 are still there! Same ones, I asked one of the workers.

Hopefully, they got dusted off.............:D

Is this the one >>> RCBS SUMMIT PRESS | Page 3 | Shooters' Forum ?

I sent a query directly to RCBS for clarification and will share when I get the response.

Ed

.............This is starting to smell like the Vortex Razor thread....... Just say'in...:D

40 years ago, I remember looking at the crude Japanese Mititutoyo micrometers in the case at Production Tool in Cleveland, Ohio (where I took my tool and die apprenticeship btw. Back then it was LS Starrett or Brown and Sharpe and the Mitituoyo stuff was really crude compared to the American precision tools (which I happen to own a lot of), stashed in 2 Gerstener boxes).....

Fast forward to present and Mitituoyo Precision measuring tools are considered world class, comparable to an exceeding the standards set for measuring instruments, worldwide.

I look at the Chinese like the Japanese were 40 years ago. The Chinese have already advanced from crude to modern and will continue to do so. I can't fault them. I will say that they do require strict oversight, but so did the Japanese 40 years ago to produce a quality product. Quality is learned over time and the Chinese are dam good learners.

I've looked at them physically and I like the design. I initiated the thread to get some input from users that have one so I can ascertain if, I want one on my bench as well....

I didn't start the thread to discuss the pros and cons of where they are made. I don't mind a bit of discussion on that but lets not dwell on it.

If we are going to dwell on the 'Made in China' scenario, we might as all quit posting on the site and toss our computers because chances are, the computer you use to post on was Made in China or at least the majority of components was....

Think about that.:rolleyes:

Is this the one >>> RCBS SUMMIT PRESS | Page 3 | Shooters' Forum ?

I sent a query directly to RCBS for clarification and will share when I get the response.

Ed

This was a good read. I have to agree with the administrator as I have had no issues with mine. I was originally going to get a Co-Ax but I saw the Summit at Sportsmans Whse and bought it to try and never looked back. I would like to be able to use mine with my hand dies but I bolted it down to my bench and its not worth it to unbolt to install the base every time. I will just keep using my Sinclair Arbor Press.

I understand somebody wanting to buy American but what a daunting task this would be trying to figure out where everything is made. Look at the glass in American optics. Think its all made here when it says made in the USA??

There are still American optical glass grinders but you won't be buying any, anytime soon. It's all for aerospace use and military and very expensive...

Exactly. I was interested in how well it worked in actual use and what, if any were the detracting features.

I do know that RCBS offers a shorter actuation handle replacement for the long supplied one....

I don't get flustered about discussions concerning where it's made, that is always an underlying issue with about anything today, but, the 'Made in USA' credo has become so blurred today, it's hard to actually determine.....

Automobiles are a prime example. Foreign content in domestic automobiles is very high today.

We live in a global economy so it's pretty moot actually.

If I tried to operate my business solely on domestic produced items, I'd be outta business. There are some items I cannot source domestically today. They do not exist today.

I do know that RCBS offers a shorter actuation handle replacement for the long supplied one....

I have not used the shorter handle. At first I was going to alter the handle system and modify it to be similar to the Co-Ax press where the handle was in the middle but after using it I found no need to.

Kinda off topic.... But if the the Summit is anything like the RockChucker I just bought for my small primer cartridges. It will be the upmost quality.... I thought that it was similar to the Hornady lock n load single stage press, so I bought the Hornady instead about a year ago. I picked up a Primer Pocket Swager Kit from RCBS, so I wanted to set it up on its own press. After getting the RockChucker I put the Swaging kit on the Hornady press, the RockChucker will CRUSH the Hornady press. I was wrong to think they were comparable. The RCBS is twice the press that the Hornady is...

...and not on the thread either... I modified my venerable Rockchucker early in it's life (I've owned it about 18 years now), was, I disassembled the ram from the body casting and added a alemite (zerk) fitting midway between the bottom and the top of the base casting (much like the Summit Press comes with) so I can give it a shot of grease occasionally. That will insure the ram never wears into the casting and gets wobbly.

I've done literally 10's of thousands of reloads on it. Never an issue.

A drop or 2 of Rem oil on the linkage as well....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.