RCBS Summit Press Thoughts

Savage 12BVSS

Here's the take on my new summit rcbs single stage press, set it up and first thing I noticed was primer residue is contained at the bottom of press and never gets near ram, dies, or any moving parts. This is the first good feature that is improved over the rock chucker I've used for decades. It can be mounted back from the bench edge flush on bench, I won't call that a big deal but I did take advantage of it, and like having the option. Handle was too long, so of course I needed to order the shorter one available. It would work with a really tall person or very low bench, but most will probably prefer the shorter one. The case doesn't move, the die comes down to it, this was different, but ram is huge and after a couple rounds it felt quite normal. The shellholder has both lateral and fore and aft movement built in, the ram has additional lateral movement in it as well. The same dies I've been using with the same brass is producing straighter more concentric loaded ammo. Not my imagination, but real fact, I chose this press from the runout numbers in the large 14 press comparison that's been online for a while now. They actually compared runout on case necks as well as ogive and tip of bullet. Another neat feature is a grease fitting on the ram, I'm sure that will get overused by some, but a shot of synthetic grease once a year or every 300-400 rounds sure won't hurt. The ram linkage is adjustable and I tightened one up a little out of the box, again don't look like something you would do a lot of but nice to have the option. The die's get set lower in the lock rings than on the rock chucker as you have an over center movement of the linkage when it goes over case. I found it easier to adjust than a convential press cause its done by feel rather than distance to ram. All in all I find it improved over the rock chucker I've used for many years and able to produce closer to perfectly straight ammo. I posted this already on a reloading thread last week but discovered this is the place to evaluate equipment. Will post later in another thread about sinclair mandrel's and lee collet die's when it gets warmer and I can start shooting for the year. Dave

Last edited:
Here's the take on my new summit rcbs single stage press, set it up and first thing I noticed was primer residue is contained at the bottom of press and never gets near ram, dies, or any moving parts. This is the first good feature that is improved over the rock chucker

I am down to 3 Rock Chuckers, I have never had a Rock Chucker that allowed a primer to get away, being the only reloaders that can say that gives me a lonely feeling. It was not necessary but my wife got involved. She thought I should decorated the press so she dug out some red 3M electrical tape, she got tired of looking at the black and or green 3M electrical tape.

In the winter things change. I had to fly out of Newark, as always you never know what to expect. They pulled out the 5 passengers in front of me for shoe inspections. It meant nothing to me so I joined them, I removed my shoes. They noticed little round metal rings embedded into my neoprene soles and got curious. I told them the little metal rings were knobbies for traction on ice and snow. Some of us had a good laugh.

F. Guffey

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.